Chapter Four

As Chase rolled down the mountainside, he noticed the van drive away. As he neared the base of the mountain, he had to find a way to stop rolling. He tried grabbing onto a root of a nearby tree that was above ground. That was able to slow him down, but not stop him. He kept rolling down the hill. A cliff of fifteen feet drops down to the base. Chase used his claws to grab a hold of the edge of the cliff before making a fatal fall. He hung off the cliff side with only his two front paws while his hind legs were trying to get a stronghold at the cliff. Chase looked over his shoulder down at the ground. He figured that he could make it to the bottom if he slid down the side of the cliff slowly, considering that the cliff was slightly angled. Using his claws to make sure that he didn’t go down too fast, he started his descent.  As he made his way down the cliff, a root that was popping out of the side scratched him in the shoulder. He yelped in pain and landed on the ground. He inspected his shoulder. He realized that he would need to get his shoulder check on, but at the moment he couldn’t worry about that. His entire body was covered in mud because of the rain.

He scanned the woods. He didn’t recognize them. He knew, however, that it was not Jake’s mountain. He examined the cliff from which he came from. He was not going to be able to go up that side. The cliff was slanted enough to go down slowly but not enough to go up it.  The ground was filled with tall grass and flowers. The trees were as green as Rocky’s truck. The night sky was dark and partly cloudy. The sound of crickets chirping filled the air. Fireflies shone all around him, blinking their lights every couple of seconds. The sound of a nearby stream could also be heard. He heard something moving in the bushes. As he got closer, a bunny dashed out of the bushes and ran past him into the darkness. He examined the bushes and realized that they were filled with a purple type of berry.

“Awesome,” Chase exclaimed aloud, despite being alone. “Bayberries. I love these.” He picked up a pawful of the berries and walked in the way of the river he heard earlier. He washed the Bayberries in the stream and put some in his mouth. He hasn’t had any of the berries in a long time. Once he finished eating his berries, he looked down the stream. The beds were covered by trees that extended on top of the flowing body of water. The stream itself was about a foot deep in its center.

“Hmm,” Chase thought aloud. “If I follow this stream, it should take me to the Bay. From there, I could find my way back to town. I need to hurry. I wouldn’t want the others to be worried about me.” He followed the stream for a while. As he walked by its side, he admired nature’s beauty. Chase has always loved hiking in the woods. This walk remembered him of a walk he had not too long ago with Skye.

-Flashback- 

Chase, Skye, and Ryder were on a mission looking for Chickaletta. The mayor’s chicken had accidentally gotten into Mr. Porter’s truck as he was taking groceries up to Jake. She had gotten out of the truck and wandered off into the woods. It was raining slightly, so Chase and Skye had to hurry. Because of the vast amount of trees in the area, Skye was walking with Chase in search of the chicken along the riverbed while Ryder searched in another area. Chase enjoyed taking walks in the woods, especially with Skye. He had found himself having feelings for the small cockapoo. He has ever since he found her a long time ago.

He loved how her brownish-blonde fur moved in the wind. Her magenta eyes were filled with joy and energy, which made his heart jump every time. Her giggle and laugh always gave him butterflies. The way she backflipped and played sports made him smile. Her smile always seemed to lift his spirit. Knowing that she was happy made him happy.

He sniffed around the area. He picked up Chickaletta’s scent. “Ryder, I found her scent,” Chase said through his pup tag.

“Great job, Chase,” Ryder exclaimed. “Find our chicken.”

“Will do, Ryder,” Chase said as he hung up. “Come on, Skye. Let’s go find Chickaletta.”

“Ok, Chase,” Skye said smiling, causing him to smile back. An eagle shrieked nearby. Skye, who was afraid of the giant birds, flinched at the sound. “Was that an eagle? I don’t like eagles,” she confessed despite Chase already knowing.

“Don’t worry, Skye,” Chase said. “I won’t let the eagle get near you.”

“Thanks, Chase,” Skye replied. “I know you will protect me.” The eagle shrieked again. This time, Skye moved in closer to Chase. “You don’t mind if I stay right next to you, right?” Skye asked with pleading in her eyes.

Chase chuckled softly, which made Skye smile with slight embarrassment. “I wouldn’t mind at all.” Skye was so close to Chase that she was touching his fur.

Chase looked forward. He noticed a certain chicken jump behind a boulder. “Hey, look, over there is Chickaletta.”

“Then let’s go get her,” Skye said.

“Wait up,” Chase said.

“Why?” Skye asked. Instead of receiving an answer, the eagle shrieked again.

“Because the eagle also noticed Chickaletta,” Chase explained. Skye whimpered. Chase couldn’t bear to see her like this. “I got an idea. Do you trust me?”

“Always,” Skye replied without hesitation.

“Okay, good,” Chase said. “Get on my back.” Skye did as she was told. Chase got into a running position. “When I pass by Chickaletta, you pick her up and hold her tight, okay?”

“Wait, what?” Skye asked.

The eagle started diving towards Chickaletta. Chase couldn’t wait any longer. He ran towards the chicken with Skye hanging on by his neck. Once she was able to settle herself well, it was just in time. She extended her arm as Chase passed by Chickaletta. Luckily, the mayor’s chicken was very light and Skye was able to pick her up and place her on top of Chase’s back. As Skye picked up the chicken, the eagle scraped its talon on the spot where Chickaletta once stood. Chase turned around and headed back towards Jake’s cabin. The eagle was coming after them.

“Chase, the eagle is right behind us,” Skye said.

“Okay, thanks,” Chase said. He knew that he wasn’t going to be able to outrun the eagle. He came up with an idea. He went into the woods. The eagle wasn’t able to fly after them without crashing into the trees. It had decided to leave instead of going after them. After a while of running, he slowed down and caught his breath. “Is it gone?” he asked between breaths.

“Yeah, it left,” Skye responded. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine, I just have to catch my breath,” Chase replied. He kept walking until they were a couple of hundred feet away from Jake’s cabin. Skye jumped off but Chickaletta stayed on top of Chase. The chicken was now sleeping.

As they walked over to the cabin, where everyone was waiting, Skye said, “Thank you for protecting me.”

“Don’t worry, Skye,” Chase replied. “I will never let anything happen to you.” Skye smiled at this statement and they both entered the cabin.

-End of Flashback-

Chase kept on walking down the riverbed. He needed to find a way back to Adventure Bay. He needed to find his way back to the Lookout. He needed to find his way back to the Paw Patrol. He had to find his way back to Marshall, Ryder, and the others. He had to find his way back to Skye.