Chapter Three

Skye, Rubble, and Marshall have returned from their mission. "Where's Chase and Ryder?" Rocky asked.

"They stayed behind to finish the mission," Marshall replied.

"What do we do till then?" asked Zuma. "We have about a half-hour before it gets dark."

"How about a game of hide-and-seek?" Rubble suggested.

"In the dark?" Skye asked.

Rubble shrugged. "Why not? Not it!"

"Not it!" everyone except Marshall exclaimed.

"Aw, rats," Marshall expressed.

"You said it too slow," Rocky teased. He ran to his puphouse and took out the sock that they use for his nose. Rocky put it in Marshall's paw.

Marshall sighed. "I hate using the sock," Marshall said. Before he could put it on, their pup tags. "Oh, thank God."

"Pups, it's time to go to sleep," Ryder said through the pup tag. "Chase and I will be there shortly."

"Okay, Ryder," the pups said in unison.

"What good pups," Ryder said. "Well, I gotta go. I see Chase returning with Callie."

Ryder hung up. "I can't believe Chase took the job, despite his allergies," Rubble commented.

"I know, I would've done it so he wouldn't have to suffer," Skye said.

"I bet he would've done the same thing for us," Marshall added. "But if I know Chase, he will never back down from a job. Especially if it means saving someone's life."

"Well, goodnight, everyone," Zuma asked.

"Goodnight," the other pups replied as they left for their puphouses.

Rubble and Marshall fell asleep immediately. It took another ten minutes for Rocky and Zuma to drift off. Skye, however, couldn't find herself falling asleep. She had Chase's police hat right next to her. This hat will give you courage and strength, Chase had said. She believed it one hundred percent. She knew that it didn't have any magical powers or things like that, but the hat did give her strength. She remembered the first time she met Chase and how he saved her from a greyhound after losing her family.

Ever since then, her heart has been glued to him. Everything about him made her feel warm inside. The way that he cared for everyone else. Despite being the strongest and most powerful of the pups, he was also the most gentle and most caring of them all. He could go from staying serious during missions to having fun in their free time. Whenever her eyes met his amber eyes, she couldn't help but smile. He can always lift her spirits when she is feeling down.

Skye was remembering how she first met Chase when her pup tag went off. "Paw Patrol, to the Lookout!!" Ryder's voice said through the pup tag. "Ryder needs us," Skye said. She noticed Rocky run past her, so she followed. She got into the elevator after Rocky, followed by Zuma, Rubble, and lastly Marshall, who caused a crash in the elevator after he slipped on a toy. The elevator shaft started going up.

"Where's Chase?" Skye asked.

"Probably at the top with Ryder already," Rocky stated.

They got into their uniforms. Marshall was wearing his EMT pup pack. Once they got to the top, they all jumped out of the elevator and landed in their spots, waiting for Chase to say his phrase, but the room stayed silent. All of the pups turned to Chase's spot, only to realize that his place was empty. They all looked at each other in confusion.

"Thank you for making it so fast," Ryder said. He was pacing back and forth. He couldn't find himself standing down. "As you can probably tell, Chase is not here. That's because he's missing." This statement made the pups gasp.