Chapter Four

URSA paced the palace courtyard, biting her lip. She had a mix of emotions. She was so worried about Azula, but she was also concerned. Azula was a dangerous person to have around.

Zuko had said that he would make sure Ursa and Azula didn't have any encounters, but that wasn't really what Ursa wanted. She wanted to be around her daughter. She just didn't know if that was the best thing for Azula.

She knew that had hurt her more than she thought possible. If she had known that she was being so damaging, she would have been more careful. She hadn't meant to make Azula's life more toxic than it already was. She couldn't change the past, however, and she had to be accept that.

She also kept reminding herself to bear in mind that her daughter was a bad person. Yes, it was because of her childhood environment, but it didn't change the facts. The facts were that Azula was a bad person who was fully aware of how bad she was, and didn't care. Azula had lied, abused, manipulated, and even killed people, including those close to her. She lacked a solid sense of empathy and guilt.

But it didn't stop Ursa from pitying her. It wasn't Azula's fault she turned out that way. But she was responsible for her actions. And she had to acknowledge that. Being abused didn't justify being an abuser- it only explained it. She would have to own up to her wrongdoings. Ultimately, many of her crimes were done by her choice.

Ursa had been told by Zuko to stay out of the way, especially the first day. He didn't want to risk causing Azula a psychotic fit. She understood, but it still saddened her. She couldn't risk seeing her own child because it might trigger something. How messed up was that?

A servant came up to her, bowing. "Lady Ursa. The Fire Lord asked me to inform you that he and the princess have arrived safely and are getting settled in."

"Thank you," Ursa smiled warmly. "I appreciate the information."

"It's my pleasure to deliver it, my Lady."

Ursa nodded, a sign that he was dismissed. He bowed once more before leaving.

So Azula was back home. It took everything in Ursa to restrain herself from going to find her. Azula would need space, and lots of it. She didn't want to pressure her into anything.

Still, she was a worried mother hen. She went inside to find Zuko. His door still freaked when she opened it. He looked over at her.

"Hey, Mother."

"Hey, Zuko."

Zuko rubbed the bridge of his nose. "I'm worried that I made the wrong decision."

Ursa wrapped her arms around his shoulders. "She getting to you?"

"Yes. And she shouldn't be. She just got here!"

"Zuko, remember yourself? It took your uncle three years and you making a lot of mistakes for you to change. And you weren't nearly as far down the path as Azula is."

"I know, but..."

"You wanted some miraculous, immediate change?"

"Yeah. Sounds ridiculous now."

It's smiled gently, wrapping her arms around Zuko's shoulders. "It was a bit too hopeful. But just because she hasn't improved in a few hours doesn't mean that she never will. You know personally how hard it can be to change. Give her time."

She ruffled his hair. "You are such a good big brother, Zuko. You love your sisters and want what is best for them, no matter what they do. I'm so proud of you."

"What happens if she doesn't change, Mother?" His body felt heavy. He didn't want to think of such a dreary outcome, but he had to.

Ursa sighed. This was not a prospect that she wanted to even consider. "Then she will have to go back."

"I hate that Father did this to her. She should be able to live her own life, not constantly chase after the one laid out for her."

"She should be, but first she needs to see that that is truly the better option. So far, she sees nothing wrong with the life she's living now. It's our job to change that. It will be no easy task, but I think you're up for the job. What do you think? Still going to give her a chance?"

"I will. At least, I will until after her birthday. If I still don't think much is going to happen by then, then I might send her back to the institution."

"You do what you think is best. I'm going to go check on Kiyi and make she that she isn't making a mess of the palace."

Zuko smiled. "You do that."