Part One

"My own mother thought I was a monster."

"She was right, of course, but it still hurt."

- - -

A/N: Now before I start this story, I want to say some things. One, Azula is a terrible person and she is fully aware of that. I'm not here to excuse her behavior. She is how she is because of her environment and her nature tendency to be selfish, but that doesn't excuse what she's done. She's an abuser and a war criminal. But she was also a child who was bred and raised to be the way she is. She was abused and brainwashed and that is incredibly sad. 

How she turned out is not her fault; her actions that she did of her own choosing are.

Now, I'm also not blaming Ursa. I like Ursa. She may have made some... questionable decisions, but she regrets them and is trying to make up her wrongs. BUT,  I'm not saying she's entirely innocent in the matter of Azula. It's certainly not her fault, but she played a role, even if it wasn't on purpose. Yes, Ursa loves Azula, but that DOES NOT mean that she didn't traumatize her. Because she did. I think that's all I've got to say here. People seem to either hate Ursa or try to act like since she loved Azula, that makes it entirely Azula's fault for thinking that Ursa didn't love her. That her motherly trauma is not valid. I'm not either of those people.

Now, plot lines from the comics are mentioned, and comic characters are involved, specifically Ikem and Kiyi. If you don't want any comic spoilers, this isn't your book to read. If you are still reading, then great! I really hope that you enjoy, and that I do justice to Azula's character.