Chapter One

ZUKO paced around his room, trying to figure out if he was making the right decision. He wanted to be, but he wasn't sure. He heard his door creak open. He looked up see his mother standing there.

"Zuko?"

"Yeah, Mom?"

Ursa closed the door, and it squeaked. "You really should get that fixed."

"I know. It just... it lets me know when someone's coming in unannounced. It was helpful for when Father was in a bad mood. I've never gotten around to fixing it."

At the mention of Ozai, Ursa cringed. She walked over, placing her hand on Zuko's shoulder. "I get it. You know you don't have to. Have you made a decision about-"

"Still thinking."

"You can do it whenever you know. There's not a time limit."

"Yes, there is."

"Well, I guess you're right. But-"

Zuko held up a finger. "You know I really want to, Mom, but I'm more than a little worried that it might be the wrong decision."

"If it is, you can handle it."

"This could potentially be extremely dangerous for everyone."

"You do what you feel is right. I trust your judgment."

"And very few others do."

"Zuko, listen to your instincts. Trust yourself."

Zuko sighed. "The last time I tried this, it obviously didn't end well."

"I know it didn't. Trust me, I do, better then most. But I'll trust whatever you decide."

Zuko inhaled sharply. "Alright. Thanks, Mom."

"No problem, darling." Ursa kissed his cheek. "I'm going to head to bed. You should, too."

"Not until I decide."

"Don't keep yourself up for too long." Ursa left the room, shooting Zuko one last glance.

Zuko kept pacing around. Finally, he ventured into the hallway, as he passed the other bedrooms, Kiyi peeked out of hers. "Zuzu? Where are you going?"

"To take a walk in the gardens. I need a little fresh air to help me make an important decision."

"Can I come?"

"You'd have to be quiet so I can think."

"I can do that!"

"Alright then. But we have to tell Mom so she doesn't worry." Zuko knocked on her and Ikem's door. "Mom?"

"Yes?"

"Kiyi and I are going on a walk for a few minutes."

"As long as she's asleep in an hour."

"Alright."

"YES!" Kiyi pumped her small fist.

Zuko chuckled. He took his half-sister's hand and they walked outside into the courtyard together. He lit a small flame in the palm of his hand, illuminating their surroundings. They walked past the grate Zuko couldn't look at without triggering painful memories, past the pond where Zuko liked to feed the turtleducks with Ursa and Kiyi. Finally, they entered the gardens.

"What have you been thinking about?"

"Letting someone stay here to see if it helps them out."

"Who?"

"I won't say until I make my decision."

"Why wouldn't you let them stay here?"

"Because they're a criminal. And letting them stay here could put us in danger. But it could also make them worse because they have bad memories here. I don't know what to do."

Kiyi seemed to ponder the idea. "Can you tell me who it is? Or at least if I know them? Then I can help you!"

"You do know them. And I haven't said who it is for that reason."

Kiyi looked confused. Then suddenly, realization dawned on her. "YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT AZULA?! She's CRAZY!"

Zuko sighed. "Exactly why I'm conflicted."

"Well, why do you want to help her in the first place?"

"She's my sister as much as you are. More, if we're going off of blood. I love her Kiyi, no matter what she's done. I can't help it. She's only like this because our Dad raised her to be. I want to give her a chance like Uncle Iroh gave me. But I also know that she's hurt people and doesn't seem to feel bad about it."

"Because she's scary and not nice," Kiyi said bluntly.

Zuko cracked a smile. "I know she is. And I totally get it if you hate her. She tried to kill Mom and she kidnapped you. She IS mean. But I still wanted to give her another shot. If it doesn't work out, she will go right back to jail.

"I just... I think she deserves another shot. I remember a couple of years ago, she truly had no idea how to function without a military-type setting, she was just so used to it. I want her to learn, just like I did. It might be a useless endeavor, but I'll never know if I don't try."

Kiyi was silent for a minute before she shrugged. "Well, I didn't understand some of those big words, but if you think that you should try, then you should. As long as I can stay away from her."

"I'm sure we can work that out." Zuko replies. His decision had been made.

A half hour later, Zuko sat at his desk, a pen in hand as he wrote an official letter.

'By the will of myself, Fire Lord Zuko, Princess Azula should be released into my care on the 23rd of...'