Chapter 16

(Slight mature content)

Ethan's POV

"Ethan?" Caleb asks softly as he comes back into the room. 

"How much of that did you hear?" I ask him. 

"Just the end. Sorry," he tells me. I shake my head and tell him it's fine. 

"Is she really kicking you out?" he asks. 

"Seems like it," I tell him. 

"I'm sorry. I'd let you stay here but I'm not sure my parents would be too hot on the idea," he says hugging me. 

"I'll figure it out," I say hugging him back. How though? We stay in that embrace for a few minutes. That is until we hear Caleb's mom call him from downstairs. 

"Guess they're home," Caleb says, sounding a little annoyed. 

"What's with that tone? Had something in mind that your parents shouldn't be home for?" I tease while leaning down to kiss his neck. When I pull back I see him roll his eyes with an amused smile. 

"Calm your dirty mind," he jokingly scolds.

"Who says I was thinking something dirty?" I ask with a smirk. His eyes widen and he playfully punches my arm. I laugh and gesture to his door where I can sense his dads soul approaching. As I do this his dad appears in the doorway. 

"Oh hello Ethan. You boys doing your homework?" His dad asks. 

"Yes sir. We just started," I tell him. "Please Ethan. It's Owen and you're welcome to call my wife Darcy. Would you like to stay for dinner?" He asks with a warm smile. 

"I'd like that. Thank you Owen," I say in response. He nods and leaves downstairs. 

"Maybe I can ask-" Caleb starts but I cut him off by kissing him. 

"Don't. I've already got a place I can stay anyway," I tell him. 

"Where?" He asks. 

"My car is pretty comfy," I explain to him. 

"You're not sleeping in your car," he tells me. 

"But-" I start but he cuts me off. 

"No buts. Maybe ask Virgil," he suggests.

"I can't bring him into this," I try to reason. 

"If you don't and he finds out you had to sleep in your car he'll kick your butt," he tells me and I nod because he's right. 

"Okay. Call him. I'm going to go get some water and then we need to finish up our homework so we can have time to just hang out before dinner," he says already leaving the room. When he's gone I plop on the bed and grab my phone. After a minute of hesitation I call up Virgil.

Virgil: Hey E. What's up?

Ethan: Hey Virge. I...

Virgil: You what?

Ethan: *sigh* I might need a place to stay. Just for a day or two. My mom wants me out of the house and I don't think my dad will be able to do anything about it. It's totally cool if I can't stay with you. I've got my car and-

Virgil: E. Say no more. You're welcome to stay as long as you want. You know my mom won't mind. Also, if I ever find you sleeping in your car when you could've asked me for help I'll kick your ass.

Ethan: *laughs* Had a feeling you'd say that. Thanks a bunch man.

Virgil: See you tonight. Bye.