Nine

Damien wandered round the museum for a few more hours, watching as everything quickly went to shit. Dexter was a highly intelligent monkey. He had listened to what Damien had hinted at and escaped the Animal exhibit through the vents. As soon as Larry was distracted the little monkey stole his keys. Damien watching as the monkey scampered away. His little hand waving as he passed. Damien waved back.

In less than five minutes a loud trumpeting of an elephant echoed through the halls. The hun, who were trying to stretch his Larry until his limbs tore, hurriedly dropped him. Damien froze and backed up a few steps as they all turned to look at corridor where the noise echoed from. He was very glad that he was at the top of the opposite staircase. As soon as the heard of animals exploded round the corner, Damien was turning and fleeing down the opposite corridor. His boots clicking loudly as he ran.

He passed the hall of miniatures. The floor now covered in hundred of tiny cowboys and Roman soldiers locked in hand to hand combat. Obviously what ever deal Larry had struck with Jedediah and Octavius had not worked out. Damien didn't have the chance to laugh at them because he was too busy running. There was a few zebra and a lioness on his tail when he turned his head to look. Luckily the zebra were between him and the lioness, and while he knew that their bodies were made of plastic and wax, he still didn't want to be on the wrong end of the lionesses claws.

He skidded round a corner and down another set of stairs at the back of the museum. He stopped at the bottom, panting harshly. The zebra and the lioness having missed him and turned down a different corridor. Damien pushed his hair off his face with a huff. He felt sweaty and tired. The corridor he stood in was empty. In the distance he could hear yelling and animal noises but the back of the museum was quiet. There was only the rooms leading underground where the staff kept their offices and other important things, and the loading dock at the back. Damien knew that both entrances should be locked to keep them from escaping, so he didn't even bother with turning down there. Instead, after a moment to catch his breath, he began walking back into the main part of the museum.

He found Spotted Dexter just as the little monkey ran into the corridor with the Neanderthal exhibit. "Hey Dexter!" He called, jogging to catch up with the little monkey. "Wait a minute please". The monkey didn't listen to him.

Damien stopped as a blaze of orange caught his eye. The cave men were on fire. One was jumping around as his hair and furs burned, the other three waving their arms wildly as they shouted. "Fire!" Damien called, unsure of what to do. He didn't know the fire protocols of this place. His fires safety knowledge was from the 1930 where it was plain and simple buckets of water. There were no buckets of water here. The nearest water source was the drinking fountain a few corridors down. "Fire!" He yelled again in hope of getting Larry's attention. "Night guard! There's a fire!"

Larry came skidding round a corner. His navy grey uniform significantly more crumpled than it had been a few hours ago. "Fuck", he muttered as he took in the panicking cave men. Quickly as he could he raced to a glass hatch in the wall. Damien watched curiously as he pulled out a long red metal object with a nozzle attached to the end. Larry raced back and aimed the nozzle at the Neanderthals. A white foam sprayed out, covering the flames. It reminded Damien of soap suds, although he was confused how the soap put the fire out.

The cave men all looked at each other, grunting in confusion. One held out a hand and pulled a handful of foam from its fellow. It sniffed it then out some in its mouth. Damien grimaced, soap did not taste nice. But apparently the cave man thought differently as it grunted and bounced happily. "I'll just let you guys do your thing then", Damien muttered as he walked away. He didn't trust the Neanderthal's with anything more advanced than a rock. They tended to make a mess.

A flash of brown caught his eye and Damien grinned. He jogged into another exhibit where Dexter had made the mistake of cornering himself. The little monkey chittered anxiously and Damien slowed down. He held out his hands gently. "Hey Dexter", he greeted. "Could I have the keys please?" The monkey looked around nervously before scrambling forwards and dropping the ring of keys into Damien's hand. "Thank you", he smiled as he shook Dexter's paw. The monkey smiled at him, squeaking at him for a second before running away.

Damien rattled the keys in victory, slightly smug that his little plan had worked. Yeah it had involved running around and general chaos but at lest it worked. He examined the keys one by one, trying to work out which was the one for the case holding Ahkmanrah's sarcophagus closed. They all looked the same to him. The modern keys very different from what he remembered. He had a feeling he could guess which key it was though. All the metal gates shared the same key, which was the smallest silver one. The main doors Damien guessed used the bronze keys, as they matched the lock. That just left the last two silver keys.

"Damien!" The shout echoed down the corridor. Damien turned so fast his neck clicked. Larry was standing on the other end of the corridor. There was blobs of white foam covering his mouth and neck. The Neanderthals must have started throwing stuff again.

"Dr Jean ", Larry sighed, shoulders sagging in relief. "You got my keys". He took a step forwards but stopped as Damien took a step back. Larry's eyes narrowed.

Damien grinned as he held up the key ring, shaking the keys tauntingly. Maybe he should have just given them back. He could have returned them and made Larry swear to free Ahkmanrah tomorrow night. It was fast approaching dawn anyway. There was not much time left, so maybe that was why Damien didn't feel like returning them right away.

"Dr Jean", Larry repeated with frustration. "Could I have my keys please?"

"It will be dawn in less than twenty minutes", Damien replied smoothly. "Walk with me to the second Mr Daley", he stated as he tucked the keys into his pocket. Larry grumbled but caught up to his side. They walked in step for a moment.

"Urgh", Damien scowled. He pulled a handkerchief from his breast pocket and threw it Larry without looking. "Wipe those suds of your face".

"Thanks", Larry muttered in surprise. He began removing the foam from the neck of his uniform.

Damien stopped when they reached the bottom of the stairs. Larry held out the handkerchief apologetically and he took it with a grimace. "Maybe you should stop locking us up", Damien commented as he stuck the grubby cloth back into his pocket and fished out the key ring. "Then maybe it won't be so chaotic every time we're let out. I am trusting you not to go back on your word Mr Daley. I expect you to free Ahkmanrah tomorrow night".

"Sure, yeah. I can keep my word", Larry promised. Damien considered him for a moment before holding out the key ring. Larry took it gratefully and Damien turned up the stairs.

"I'll see you next night Larry", he called over his shoulder as he disappeared onto the second floor. Larry waved back, not realising that his key ring was now missing two keys.

Unedited