Chapter Six

After hearing the message, everything was absorbed. But still, I was on the state of disbelief. Why did bad things keep happening to me and to the people who matter? Maybe this was it. The undisputable proof of the bad luck I have in me.

As what dad and people from school kept reminding me, I was good for nothing. A menace. A disease, threat to everyone’s living.

I wished it was me on the place of dad. He did not deserve any additional burden. He has been through so much. I know that he has not completely moved on from mom’s death.

And so was I.

But I needed to be strong, for me and for him. We are the ones left and there is no way I would let anything destroy it. Dad is all I have now. I would probably lose it If I would be left alone. I could not carry on.

I immediately stormed to dad’s room and picked out some pieces of clothing he might need. I folded them neatly inside the duffle bag. I walked out of the room and proceeded downstairs.

I went to the kitchen to securely lock that back door. I unplugged some of the electronic devices, preventing any possible disaster from occurring.

I hurriedly exited the house making sure that the front door was locked in the process.

I started running, dashing through the streets and intersections that would lead me to the hospital. I wished I had money with me.

In the way, I would be able to attend a whole lot faster to Dad. He must have needed my help. I did not want him to wait.  

The entire time of travel was absolutely exhausting. The hospital is located more or less than five kilometres from home in my estimate. It lies a bit farther from the heart of the town, where major commercial establishments flocked. The town is not the big either. But travelling on foot made it a whole different story.

Panting and gasping for air was my condition when I finally arrived. I headed towards the information desk to inquire.

“Excuse me, I am looking for Sebastian Adams, I am his son and he was brought here from an accident.” I started, intently looking at the lady who was busily flipping the pages of stacks of paper.

She paused from her activity a moment then turned to type something in the computer right beside her.

“Room 217” She informed as she looked up to me.

“Thank you so much.” I muttered then left.

I quickly found my way to the second floor of the building to where I found my destination. I opened the door meekly, allowing just enough opening for myself then walked in.

Dad was lying on the bed; he was wide awake but looked terrible. He had cuts and scratches all over his face. From the looks of it, the wounds were cleaned. He had gauze and bandages wrapped around his limbs.