Chapter Fourteen

I slowly dragged myself out of the bathroom. The body pain was going on. I was limping as I headed back to my bed. I checked out my phone only to find out that it was almost midnight, almost Christmas. I thought that sleeping off after Dad’s beating would make me feel better. I was wrong. My head was pounding and my torso and limbs were sore. I felt really uncomfortable. The uneasiness did not spare me even the shortest snooze.

I grabbed the piece of meat from the plate which was on the drawer beside my bed. I had no other better choice for there was no ice cubes in the fridge, it was almost empty. The piece of frozen meat which I wrapped with damp towel was the best I could get.

I smeared it across my face, from my reddening or perhaps bruised up cheeks all the way down to my busted lips. I sneered and frowned at every pain I felt whenever the alternative ice pack touches my stinging skin. I hated myself that instant. It was not Dad’s fault. I supposed; it was entirely mine. I deserved it, I did not think of Dad. I did not make him dinner. I let myself be carried away by Miguel’s proposition.

Don’t get me wrong but the dinner with his family was one of a kind. Although it caused me one of the worst beatings I’ve had in a month, I don’t regret any second of it. It was definitely one of the most beautiful times I’ve ever had. His family is exactly how my family was before, living happily.

At first I was really anxious, especially when we arrived in front of their neatly mowed lawn. From the looks of the exterior, anyone could easily and reasonably conclude that Miguel’s family is better off. Four cars, excluding Miguel’s were parked on the driveway.

The house was huge but not the mansion type though. But it was definitely much bigger than our house. The interior of the house somehow amazes me. Expensive looking furniture along with indoor ornaments and high-end appliances flocked the living room. A fireplace which was located on the west section of the living room caught my attention the most. Above it was a big portrait of their family. Miguel looked younger on the portrait so I supposed it was taken few years ago. 

The people living in the house were kind and generous. Miguel warmly introduced me to them and vice versa. I could not exactly describe how lovely the whole family was. They were all so nice to me and I felt that they understood my natural awkwardness. They made me feel at home and welcomed and I could not be more grateful for that.

Miguel’s father was silent but he looked really smart. I thought he was a lawyer but I learned that his Dad is an accountant. Miguel looks like his Dad. I bet that Miguel would turn out to look exactly like him when he would reach his Dad’s age in the future.

Mrs. Fernandez was really beautiful and sweet; she looked younger than her actual age. I also learned that she is not Hispanic as I assumed, she was of Irish-Italian descent. She stays at home, but she runs her own small business of pastries. She takes special orders from close friends and acquaintances. She loves baking as much as she loves her family.

Miguel’s brothers: Gabriel and Raphael both go to college now. Both of them are taking up engineering courses. I thought they would be the typical geeky type but I was wrong. They are hilarious. They made jokes about how Miguel and I would make a great couple. I remembered how I tried to suppress the feeling of wanting to giggle from their jokes. If I did not, it would have been really embarrassing.