Chapter Two - The Power Of Triangles

Attatched Media: Leah Corbie

Friday afternoon. Most people love Friday afternoons but not me as I had to endure 45 minutes of mental torture in Math class. I found myself constantly glancing at the clock but every time I checked it, it always read the same goddamn time.

I tapped my pencil impatiently on my desk, waiting for the class to end as my maths teacher drew a bunch of triangles on the board and labelled it as homework.

How can triangles ever be classed as homework? When will I ever use this? It won't help if I get mugged or something.

'Oh no my bag, wait sir! I have the power of triangles!'

No, not happening. Learning how to do back flips and all that cool ninja like stuff is more my forte! Well, I am a track star but that's beside the point.

I glanced briefly at Leah, hoping to throw something or pull a funny face at her only to see her staring out the window, looking distant and uneasy. She was pale and looked like she hadn't gotten any sleep in days and to top it off, she looked like she was going to be sick all over the window.

I pulled out my phone, discreetly hiding it under the table.

'Leah you okay?'

'The lunch ladies are after me, think I got food poisoning or something'

'You need to go to the nurse?'

'Yea, otherwise the teacher is going to have to clean the window'

I slid my phone back into my pocket as I saw Leah stand up slowly, almost struggling to lift herself out of the chair, clearly looking sick.

She trudged up to the front of the classroom, dragging her feet across the floor and whispered something to the teacher and I saw concern flash across the teachers face. She scribbled frantically on a piece of paper and handed it to Leah and she left, hurrying to the nurse.

The bell went and everyone instantly shot out of their seats, rushing for the door. I gathered my things and went into the teenager infested hallway to put my books in my locker and grab my bag.

I hurried out of school, ducking and weaving my way through the crowd to get home and call Leah to see how she was, but for some reason my stomach felt heavy and it churned, making me feel uneasy. Maybe Leah was contagious?

My luck couldn't get any worse. Almost as soon as I left the school grounds it started to drizzle rain and eventually it began to hammer down. After walking the usual 2 miles in the rain, I saw my house on top of the hill and I jogged up the side walk until I was in my muddy driveway.

I loved the house to pieces. It was an old double story Victorian style house, painted in a faded white although it used to be a pale yellow and I couldn't help but admire the lovely L shaped porch out the front of it.