Chapter One - A Flock Of Idiots

Attached Media: Amelia Jade

My heart thumped heavily as my feet pound the pavement. My lungs feel like they were going to collapse but I knew I couldn't stop because if I stopped, who knows what she would do. Would she inflict more pain and suffering or would she be remorseful and stop this torture?

Probably the former, and that thought kept me going throughout the next 10 laps. I finished my final lap and immediately put my hands behind my head, sucking in the crisp autumn air. I felt an icy splash on my face as my best friend Leah squirted my face with a water bottle.

"You have no idea how fantastic that feels" I smile gratefully as she unscrews the cap and tips the bottles contents over my head, smiling evilly. I shook my head furiously trying to get the water out of my eyes without removing my hands from my head. A few meters in front of me a squad of male douche bags had gathered to watch us, the cross-country team, train.

"You got no idea how fantastic you look baby!" one of the guys called out, winking suggestively at me. His friends let out a harmonized chorus of agreement.

I wonder if they had meetings to rehearse that. Leah screwed the lid back on the bottle and threw it at the guys. Now, Leah wasn't a good throw, so it ended up landing a meter short of its destination and the guys all howled with laughter.

"I think you dropped something" one of the guys exclaimed clutching his stomach from laughing as he stepped forward. If he knew what was good for him he'd be clutching onto his balls for dear life because once Leah was done with him, he'd be lucky to still have them.

"Uh yea, you douche bag that's my fucking water bottle so hand it over" Leah snapped angrily. She was not messing around. The guys once again let out a harmonized course of 'oohs', smirking at each other and pushing each other lightly on the shoulder. It was like a massive flock of stupid. I restrained myself from saying something because every time I say something, it goes south...always.

"Oh, is it seriously yours? Shouldn't you have, I dunno, a diamond encrusted one or some shit like that?" a guy snarled hatefully at Leah.

Everyone at school knew Leah's family was absolutely loaded with money, and they hated her for it. Leah even looked like she was rich with her designer clothes and expensive hair. If she didn't have those, she would look like an average teenager. And right now it looked as if someone had slapped her.

"Of course it's not mine! It's Mandy's! You know? My maid?" she said sharply, recovering from the verbal slap. I arched an eyebrow at them as if to say 'duh'. I loved doing that, it made me seem a lot cooler than I actually was.

"She has a fucking maid?!" one of the guys exclaimed angrily.

"Well duh, don't you? Last time I checked your mommy's still around isn't she?" Leah said sweetly to the guy with a big childlike smile occupying her face.

"You fucking piece of shit!" the guy who she just insulted yelled.

The group of guys rushed forward, clasping their hands onto their friend, trying to restrain him from going forward. Mrs. Dormer, my coach or should I say torture lady, stepped into the middle of us shooting Leah and I a sharp look.

"Last time I checked Miss Jade, showers were that way" she said as she jerked her head up in the direction of the showers, glaring at me.

"I'm so sorry Mrs. Dormer! Amelia and I were merely trying to retrieve my water bottle from this flock of idiots!" Leah spoke, pitching her voice two octaves higher.

Dormers face softened when Leah spoke. Every teacher had a damn soft spot for Leah and hated me with a passion when really, she's the one that gets us into trouble...mostly.

Dormer murmured an apology for being rude and began to deal with the guys. Leah and I walked to the showers, laughing at the smart comments she passed with the guys. I stumbled into the showers whilst Leah waited in the locker room and after I got out she handed me some clothes.

I smiled gratefully at my best friend. She always knew what I wanted, even before I wanted it. I got changed and went to inspect myself in the mirror.

My blonde hair was still straightened to perfection as I ran my fingers through it, improvising a brush.

I had on a white tank top with a picture of a flower on it and a pair of navy blue loose shorts which made my creamy skin stand out. I lent forward to apply my makeup, putting a dash of lip gloss on my small lips and a touch of eyeliner on my big blue eyes. I bent down and tied my white converse up. I stood back up to see Leah standing next to me, looking at me in the mirror.

I looked at her reflection and grinned like a fool. We were complete opposites in every way. She was loud and rambunctious where as I was more quiet and calm. She was 5"7 and wild and I was 6"0 and docile.

Her tanned skin and dark curly hair contrasted my straight blonde hair and pale skin. She was skinny and I was toned. We were complete opposites and judging from the lopsided grin on her face, she was thinking what I was.

But we both knew we wouldn't have it any other way.