chapter 20

As his name announced, I didn't know from where he came. He was in black business suit. He was looking dashing as usual. As I was looking at him, he stopped at our table and looked at me. Our eyes met and I felt my heart was stopping to beat. I didn't imagine into my dreams that I would feel like it after seeing him. When it's hard to take breath, I retreated my gaze. I saw his lips curled slightly from corner. My ears and cheeks were buring. I didn't look anyone while drinking water to ease myself.

He was giving his speech from stage and I was hearing his magical voice. Even I didn't give attention to his speech. I only heard his last words when he mentioned, "Thank all of you... My family... My supporters and I want to say specially thank my love who gives me encourage in every situation."

There was a bitter feeling into my heart after hearing it. Was he seriously mention me or someone else? When I thought someone else who is special for him, there was jealousy into my heart. That's why I suddenly looked up at him. He was looking at me with bright eyes as he was saying to me. Our eyes met again but this time he smiled brightly.

I gulped my saliva and looked away. I was feeling uncomfortable because what he said I didn't deserve it. I left him alone then why he said thank to me. I only gave him trouble. As his speech finished, there was a loud sound of applause. He smiled and left the stage.  Sameera whispered into my ear with cheerful, "Natasha, are you touched with my brother's performance?"

After hearing her teasing, I came into my senses. I glared her and whispered, "don't say anything. My family is also here." I glanced at my Richa, jiju and soham. Thank god, their concentration was only on Karan.

She pouted but didn't say anything. I felt relieved but my mind was in mess. I knew I made mistake to come here. But now I was here,  I couldn't do anything except accept my fate. I looked at Karan from corner of my eyes. Somes were giving him congratulations and he nodded polielty. Sometimes exchanged few words. He went to his parents and touched their feet and they gave him blessings. I was far from their table but I could say by their action.. without my expectations, he also touched my parents's feet. I was not only shocked but my parents also. I didn't know what he said to them but their expressions became normal soon. My heart was beating fastly and there was a lot of doubt into my mind.

At last, he came to our table. As he came to our table, Sameera beamed and hugged him tightly, "congratulations bro." He chuckled. Kavish was gave him hug and congratulations. I was only one who sat on my seat with lowering my head but I was listening. Suddenly I felt his hands on back of my chair. I could feel his presence behind me. He greeted in low voice, "Hello, You are Richa Didi right?"

Richa beamed with excitement, "hello, Mr Mehta, first congratulations you and second you are right. It's nice to meet you." Richa was in front of me that's why I could see her expression. She was really happy. I rolled my eyes why she was so excited to meet him."

He chuckled softly, "Thank you didi. Same here." Then he said to jiju, "Hello, brother in law"

Jiju said with smile, "Hello, Mr mehta, congratulations to you."
Karan smiled, "Thank you brother in law. Please call me Karan otherwise I feel odd."
I blinked my eyes why I was feeling he was talking like he was meeting with his relatives. Jiju and Karan exchanged few more words.
Then karan said to Soham, "hello, Soham"
Soham smiled brightly, "Congratulations Mr Mehra."
Karan thanked him. Then he sat beside my chair where Sameera sat. Sameera sat beside him. I glared at her but she ignored me. Its hard for me to take breath in his presence. Should I excuse myself and left? Or should I pretend that I didn't care? I chose later.
I heard Richa's voice, "Mr Mehta, I didn't expect you are so easy going Actually, I heard rumors that's why... but now, I know you are opposite from rumours."

He laughed lightly, "Didi, don't worry. I am nice with my family and relatives." I rolled my eyes and said internally, 'who is your family or relatives here? Can't you be some reasonable? And what happened to my family? Why are they excited to meet him?'

My sister, jiju and soham were talking to him like they knew each other before. Only I was one who was feeling uncomfortable. Suddenly I heard my name from Richa's mouth, "Mita"
I looked at him with absent minded, "hmm?"
She glared at me, "Mita, what happened to you? Why are you mute today? You didn't even greet and congrat to Mr Mehta? Where is your manner?"

I glared at her. Is she really my sister? Couldn't she ignore me just for today? Everyone looked at me. Even, I felt Karan's gaze on me. I wanted to hide under the table but I knew I couldn't. I glanced at him from corner of my eyes. His lips were curled slightly and he was enjoying my miserable condition.

I wiped my sweat hands from my dress under table. I said with trembling voice, "Congratulations Mr Mehta." Suddenly, he held my hand with his hand under the table and said with pursing lips, "Mita, you don't need to polite with me." I looked at him with widened eyes and tried to get free my hand from his hand but he held it tightly while interlocking my fingers with his fingers. We were glaring at each other and there were tensed atmosphere between us. My family was looking us with worried expression. Even, they didn't know Karan held my hand under the table.

Sameera put her hand on Karan's shoulder and said in cheerful voice, "Brother, you are so funny. Why are you scaring her?"
Karan retreated his gaze and smiled lightly but didn't say anything.

Kavish tried to ease tension, "Forget it, they are like it. When they meet, they always argue."
Richa, jiju and soham smiled and nodded. I thought Karan left my hand but he was stroking his thumb on my hand back. I was feeling relaxed from his action. After getting tired from struggle, I let him hold my hand.

Everyone was talking and laughing. Karan was also taking participate into conversation. Soon, everyone forgot what happened just now.
Richa again threw another bomb on me. Even that question was not directly for me.