Chapter 18

His last scream nearly split my eardrums. I looked up at Carlisle, "The worst is over." I nodded and dabbed at the sweat on Jacob's brow with a cold cloth. 

"You hear that, it's over, you can rest now." I whispered gently to him. Carlisle stood and headed toward the door to inform the pack and Billy of Jake's condition.

"Rina?" I look back at Jake and suddenly want to take back my statement to Sam about the drugs. He looked like he was going through heavy with-drawl. 

"I'm right here, shh, you're okay." My ears perked at the sound of Carlisle's voice.

"He's through the worst of it. I gave him some morphine but his body temperature should burn it off quickly. I'll come back to set a drip." As much as my insides curdled at that vampire returning, his skills as a doctor were useful. My fingers slowly drifted over the sling keeping his right arm firmly tucked against his chest.

"I was worried about you today." I glanced up at Jake. His eyes were fully alert despite the morphine.

"Who me? I was perfectly fine, I can take care of myself." He smirked,

"I know, but Rina..."

"Hmm" I bent my ear closer to him.

"I'm worried how close you are tying yourself to everything going on here." My head swung towards him in shock. He had just finished having his bones religned after they were shattered and he is worried about that. Well I guess its better than him commenting on my smell, which I imagine isn't the greatest. "You have a family in the North; a pack. You came here to help Bella, and now your stuck in this rut with the rest of us." I snorted,

"I am free to leave when I want. I am not bound." I stated defiantly but he only gave me a soft smile.

"But you don't want to." His uninjured arm came up and his fingers gently brushed my hair away from my check. "I wonder if that's enough though." I looked at him questionably. Just where is he going with this. He's usually more forthright, I wonder if it's the drugs. "You know, being with me, would be as easy as breathing." I felt my eyes widening slightly. Being with...was he asking me to become his mate? Just the simplest touch sent fire through me and left me breathless. To have that constantly...I would need a new nervous system. I felt my cheeks grow warm and I tried to hide my face behind his palm. I heard him chuckle and peeped at him from under my eye lashes. "One moment your hauling vampire ass like your throwing out the trash, the next," his tone softened, "The next thing I know I'm looking at girl, a girl whose never felt the touch of a man." Well if my checks weren't red already, they certainly were now. I bit my lip hard,

"W-w-well that's neither here nor there, so..." So what Rina? What kind of point are you trying to make. His thumb brushed my bottom lip so lightly I wasn't sure that he even did it. He was right, I didn't want to leave.

"There's no rush Rina, we have time. I just wanted to put it out there." I noticed his eyes start to droop with exhaustion. A familiar scent hit my nose and I naturally cocked my head.

"Bella's here."

"Go on," I hesitated, "I'm not going anywhere anytime soon." I smiled and kissed his palm,

"Well, perhaps neither am I." I rose and exited the small house to find Bella, Billy, and the pack hovering outside. Bella stepped towards me with frantic eyes. "He's okay. Well, not okay, but he will be." She sighed and went to enter the house, but I stopped her.

"Arianna what are you-" I grab her arm and quickly pulled her down the drive until I was sure we were out of ear shot of those nosy wolves. Hah, nosy, that's punny. "Arianna!" I stopped and rounded on her.

"You missy have gotten yourself involved in several layers of dog shit haven't you!" Her mouth opened and closed. "The Volturi huh, what sort of dealings do you have with one of the oldest vampire covens in the world, huh?" She looked up at me defiantly. 

"I promised them I would turn into a vampire." I'm sorry, crazy lady with a death wish say what?

"Wait so do you not actually want to become vampire then? I thought you were doing this for Edward?"

"I am! Well, it's for both of us. We had some trouble with Volturi's awhile back, and this just helps get Edward on board with the plan." Had some trouble...why do I get the feeling someone did something very melodramatic...I pinched the bridge of nose.

"You know Bella, he's not as perfect as you think he is." 

"I know who he is!" Ugh, it's like talking to a wall. The silence stretched between us for a moment. I almost wanted to ask what happened in the clearing with the Volturi and the Cullens, but like Jacob said; I was getting too involved in this rut of there. "August 13th." I looked up, "August 13th is when I'm going to ask Edward to do it. It's a month before my birthday, but it's after the wedding so I thought it was the best compromise." I snorted and she shot me a glare.

"When it comes to your heart beating Bella, there is no compromise, only sacrifice." She looked down, unable to meet my gaze.

"Will you leave? After my heart stops?" I considered her question for a moment.

"I'm not sure if I can." I kicked a rock and gaze up at the endless, limitless sky. "Me and Jake are sort of bonded."

"How are you sort of bonded?" I sighed,

"The feeling is there, but the need to be with him, like his mate, isn't solidified."

"So, you'll stay for him, but not for me." 

"What kind of accusation is that! I hardly even know who are anymore! I feel like I can't define you without Edward being there!"

"Well that's the way its supposed to be when you love someone!" I clicked my tongue at her and shook my head.

"I came because Charlie asked. I got involved because you were in danger. Don't ask me to stay and watch you die!" My voice had become so hysterical that it cracked. I hardly recognized it, it didn't sound like my calm, cool, and collected voice. It sounded like a child, crying over a dead rabbit. 

"This isn't a choice between life and death Arianna," A tear rolled down my cheek, "This is about who I should be, and who I am." I rubbed the tear away quickly and started back towards Jacob's house. "It's not just his world, but yours as well Arianna." I stop and glance back. "This world you all live in, I know that's it's dangerous and I know what I'm giving up. But I also know what I'm gaining! I have never felt stronger or more real than when I'm with you, Edward, and Jacob."

"But Bella-"

"I know, becoming a vampire isn't an ideal choice by any means. But it's what I want. Isn't that enough?" This girl...I sigh deeply.

"Bella, there are things people just cannot accept," I looked at her sad face, "Even if they do understand them." She blinked. A slow smile spread out over her face,

"Is that a challenge?" I rolled my eyes and continued walking back to Jake.

"Just remember Bella," I shouted over my shoulder, "When it comes to those I love, I never play fair!"