Chapter 16

We hurried towards the battle front to where the Cullens were with Bella on Edward's back. The whole piggy back thing is seriously weird. They stood waiting for us in the clearing in front of a burning fire which I guessed contained the bodies of the newborns. I counted each of them, and sighed sadly. Of course they all survived, and of course they all still looked like they were going to a fashion shoot. Edward marched up to Alice,

"How long?"

"A few minutes, maybe ten." She replied.

"The pack needs to leave." I bristled and Carlisle stepped forward.

"The Volturi won't honor our truce with the werewolves." I noticed a wold nereby, Leah I think her name was. My heart added a second beat to its rythm as I turned to look at Jacob coming out of the brush. His copper fur shone brightly, like fire. His eyes met mine and I let a smile grace my lips. My nose twitch and I shot look towards the brush near Leah. A newborn tumbled out and she quickly ounced on him.

"No Leah!" Edward yelled her as she began to scrap with the newborn. I saw Jacob run to her and I started to make my way over. The newborn somehow got his arms around her neck. Crap! I quickend my pace, but Jacob was faster in his wolf form. He leaped at the new born catching his shoulder in his fangs, tearing him from Leah. They rolled over each other, Jacob lost his grip. I watched in horror as the new born wound his arms around Jacob's torso. I saw his grip tighten, I heard Jake's insides being crushed, I could almost feel his pain.

        Rage sparked within my breast. I saw two other wolves making their way; Sam and Embry. But I was closer. He dropped Jacob to the ground and a second later I pinned him, keeping my right leg braced on his chest. I heard Jacob whine once more, the sound filled my ears like a blood curdling scream. I flipped him on his back grabbed both of his arms and pulled until they both ripped from their sockets. The newborn screamed in agony, but I didn't care. I grabbed his collar and forced him to look at me.

"Jacob!" Bella screamed.

"Hold on Carlisle will take of you." No, he will not! I let my nails elongate into sharp claws. I raised my arm and severed his head with a clean strike. I stood and made my way over to where Jake was, with Carlisle and Edward leaning over him. Bella flung herself down near Jacob.

"The right half of your body is shattered I heard Carlisle tell him. I knelt by his head and stroked his hair away from his forehead.

"Rina?"

"I'm right here Jacob." I lifted his head slightly and placed it on my lap and continued to stroke his hair. I noticed Edward remove his jacket and place it across Jacob's waist. I felt the earth tremble as the wolves came toward us, now dressed and in human form.

"Jacob you idiot, I had him!" Leah screeched, I felt my teeth grind in response.

"Hush Leah!" Sam barked at her.

"We need to reset the bones before his accelerated healing kicks in, its already starting." Carlisle explained. Well, I guess he is a doctor.

"We need to get him out of here, we're not going to want to fight with the Volturi." Their voices were almost numb in my ears. Jacob kept his eyes trained on me as his body shook with pain.

"We'll take him back to Billy's." Sam's voice made its way through my fogggy head and I looked up.

"Not like this you won't." His eyes narrowed at me.

"He can't stay here." Said Edward plainly. I know that you idiot. I looked down at Jacob whose eyes were now pinched tightly closed.

"I can stop the regeneration for a short time, as well as put him to sleep, he'll feel less pain that way." Everyone paused to look at me, Carlisle spoke first.