Chapter Six: Yeah, I Heard You Say It Was Too Far Away

Zuko watched Tongyi eat while he decided what he wanted to include in his next letter to Song Lee. He reached out, ready to pull away at a moment's notice, but Tongyi let Zuko run a finger over his head and down his back.

Tongyi's scar really wasn't so fearsome once you got used to it.

He turned away and started the letter.

Song Lee,

I think you may already know how I got my scar. I don't know if you are completely aware, it's not like I asked you. Just in case, though, I will tell you here. To be safe.

He knew that it was going to hurt to write the next part, but he wanted Song Lee to know about it. About him.

When I was 13, I joined my Uncle in a counsel of war hosted by my father. In it, I defended the lives of some of the soldiers of the Fire Nation army, who the counsel was ready to sacrifice without a second thought. In doing so, I insulted my father. He challenged me to an Agni Kai, but I didn't realize that he would be the one I was supposed to fight. I refused to fight him. He burned me. I was banished from the Fire Nation, and though my Uncle is still welcomed back, he has chosen to stay with me. I, however, can't return home and regain my honor until I capture the Avatar. Nothing has been more important for over two years.

Today, something changed. I participated in another Agni Kai, this one against a man named Captain Zhao. I defeated him with the support of my Uncle. I have never been victorious before, not like this. It brings me hope.

Tongyi let me pet him today. It was a far cry from him trying to bite me when he delivered the first letter. I think he was probably just distracted by the cake I gave him, but it's possible that he's grown used to my presence, at least a little bit. If I could speak Falcon, I would ask him which it is, but since I can't, I'll just settle for what he gives me. It's another victory.

Thanks for not telling anyone about the Avatar. The reason the Agni Kai took place at all was because Captain Zhao found out about my failure in the South Pole. The beacon was definitely a sign of the Avatar's return, by the way; I almost had him, but he escaped. He's just a child, but he's a more powerful bender than anyone I have ever known. I'm ashamed to tell you that I underestimated him. It will not happen again, but I would like to stay out of trouble to the best of my ability until I can turn the Avatar over to my father.

You're unforgettable in all of the best ways. I would never try to insult you.

It is decided, then. Once I can return home, I will make sure to stop at your father's naval base so that I can arrest the cook. I would naturally also visit you and your father. My Uncle and I really enjoyed our time there. My Uncle and your father could play Pai Sho while we stargazed, and then I would finally be able to return home. Don't worry about Tongyi not getting enough cake, by the way; he gets plenty here. The cook seems to enjoy having the excuse to bake, even though he might be a little bit insulted that I feed it directly to a messenger falcon. He doesn't exactly attack me with knives, though.

Thanks, also, for your theories on celestial lights. I thought they were interesting, even though I didn't understand half of what you wrote. You're a lot smarter than anyone else I know. I envy you for that. Are they all your own theories? Do you share them with anyone else?

He paused, and he dug through the various compartments under the surface of his deck, searching for the second letter she'd sent him. He held it up, read it over, and put it back where he had found it.

I'd also love to hear about the schematics of a supernova, if you're willing to write it all down.

It wasn't much, but if asking her about the stars made her happy, then it wasn't much of an effort on his part.