Chapter Eighteen: And All of Us In Between

Three weeks of no food and no water on the raft had definitely done things to Zuko's mind. He had them drafting out his reply to Song Lee in his head. With every day that passed, he lost a little hope that he would ever see land again.

When they finally did make it, the first thing Zuko did (besides for drinking as much water as his system could hold) was track down parchment on which he could write a reply to Song Lee. He brought it back to the hut that he and Iroh were staying in, where Iroh returned to him the brush and ink stone before wandering off again, probably to get another massage.

He didn't understand why his Uncle liked massages so much.

Outside the window of the hut, the trees were beginning to bear flowers. Not all of them had bloomed yet, but the perfume of the ones that had drifted through the window and allowed Zuko to relax, at least a little bit.

Song Lee,

I'll definitely be more careful in the future if I find myself alone on a battleship, but that won't be happening anytime soon. If it's any consolation, I wouldn't be happy to hear news about my death, either.

Again, I'm really sorry for not replying to those two letters. What I could have done instead of sending Tongyi back without a reply is keep him with me and let him rest before I replied, but for some reason I didn't do that. I really do promise to reply to any future letters, no matter what.

Everything has already happened. My Uncle and I are stranded in a Fire Nation colony in the Earth Kingdom. I don't know what it's called, but it's kind of cool, because it's built on top of a waterfall overlooking a harbor. We did not succeed in capturing the Avatar. With the aid of the Spirit of the Ocean (at least, that's what my Uncle called it), the Avatar demolished an entire Fire Nation fleet and killed Admiral Zhao.

Uncle and I only escaped on a raft. We'd been floating for three weeks before we finally made it to the village. I don't know how we even made it that long. The wreckage of the fleet was legendary. I don't know how I ever thought I could defeat the Avatar.

Why is your grandmother a waterbender? How did she have your father and not raise him? If your grandfather was a Fire Nation citizen, why did he conceive a child with a waterbender? The Fire Nation has yet to capture the Water Tribes, so how did he even get so close with a waterbender in the first place?

How is your father? he asked again, because he'd noticed that she hadn't given an actual reply in the tenth letter.

You'll be pleased to know that I'm not in any danger at all right now. It doesn't seem like we're going to be leaving this village anytime soon. Right now, even attempting to follow the Avatar is a dead end. I can't go home. I can't find allies. I can't do anything, it seems like. It doesn't really matter, though. I'm safe for now, so you don't need to worry for my sake. I'll be fine, and my Uncle will, too.

The Avatar will remain out of my grasp for the time being. I'm sorry for disappointing you. I don't believe I'm as resourceful as you think I am, but thanks, anyway.

I eagerly await your reply,

Zuko

Tongyi flew down write as Zuko wrote his name at the bottom of the letter and perched on the windowsill, blocking Zuko's view of the trees. He didn't mind. The colour of Tongyi's feathers seemed muted when compared to the pink flowers. "You've got a long way to go, don't you?" asked Zuko.

The falcon gave no reply.

As soon as the ink dried, Zuko rolled the letter up and sealed it, placing it in Tongyi's carrier with particular care. Tongyi butted his head against Zuko's unscathed cheek, rubbing his feathers over his skin, before he turned away, spread his wings, and took off.