Chapter Ten: Digging For Secrets Deep in the Ground

It wasn't until the sun had dipped below the horizon and Iroh was safe and sound back on the ship that Zuko finally bothered to read Song Lee's letter.

Prince Zuko,

I hope your lead ends up successful. Before long, you should be on your way home, assuming that all goes well.

I cannot imagine not being allowed home to my father or my aunt.

I don't believe that Tongyi ever misses anyone. I think it likely that he is simply irritable from a long journey. I tend to only give him a little rest before I send him with the next letter. I will stop hurrying him so much in the future. If I could speak Falcon, I would ask him what it is he wants, but as it is, more rest would probably be good for him.

If you think I should write a book, I most likely will eventually. I trust your judgement, perhaps more than I trust my own. It's possible that I will write many books. I have a lot of theories.

In terms of technology, better telescopes would do wonders to further my research. I also need different instruments, but because it is already difficult to understand what I need to measure, it is also difficult to know what I can use to measure it with. I could, for example, use a tool to help me measure sunlight, or to help me measure the angles of the stars more accurately. Other than that, however, I'm not sure what else I need.

Following that part of the letter, a list of about ten scrolls had been written down, as well as the men who wrote them. To be honest, Zuko very much doubted he would be able to find any of them. One of the books caught his eye, though—it was called The Effects of the Cosmos on Firebending by Yan Han-Tzu—and he wondered what it contained. Maybe Song Lee could summarize it for him, or at least what was important to know. He made a mental note to ask her the next time Tongyi came.

Some of my favorite theories include how further studies of the skies, both scientific and religious, could heavily benefit the Fire Nation, as well as the rest of the world. For example, the Fire Nation is in power because of the way a great comet boosted their ability to bend fire. Firebenders pull their power from the sun in the same way that waterbenders pull their power from the moon. Understanding exactly why that is the case may allow benders to harness their power much more efficiently, but very few people seem to care, which is often disheartening.

The letter continued from there as she briefly stated some of her favorite theories, including the sun in relation to the moon, other worlds that might exist, life that could exist on those worlds, and more. It was intriguing, if not far-fetched, and it was a nice list about what to ask her next.

I eagerly await your reply.

Song Lee

Zuko couldn't help but remember the tiny letter he had sent her, and he sighed and let himself sag in place. Song Lee put so much effort into her letters. Was it really so much to ask that he kept Tongyi with him until he could reply?

It didn't matter. Zuko pushed away the feeling of shame and accepted the familiar weariness and anger that came with once again losing the Avatar. That knotting in his stomach was unpleasant, but at least he knew how to handle it. It was much better than trying to deal with guilt or shame.

Song Lee's letter remained open on his desk.

Time passed, if rather slowly. The longer she was awake, the closer Song Lee came to making a full recovery. Angry as he was that she had gotten sick in the first place, and that Iroh had almost gotten caught, Zuko was more than relieved that she was okay. He was beginning to understand that he had to act relieved rather than angry at her, though.