The Pizza Shack

Once Pete and Schoop went home, I crawled into bed. I could overhear my mom talking on the phone to Jeff. It didn't sound entirely pleasant. After a while, my dad came into my room, "You heard all that, huh?" he perched himself at the edge of my mattress. He seemed hurt, and I was hesitant to tell him that I heard everything that my parents had just been talking about, even the kiss, "Your mom is the only woman I ever loved," he confessed to me, "It's not easy, but don't think that I don't love raising you guys."

"I didn't think that for a second," I confided. The truth was, growing up with my dad in charge went pretty smoothly. He had just enough discipline, and the right amount of friendliness to him that didn't make my brother and I turn into brats. On the other hand, though, my mom had abandoned us and I was still pretty hurt by that, "Go win her back, Dad," I encouraged him.

My dad curved his mouth upward, "I knew you'd understand," he commented. With that, he left my room leaving me in the darkness of my own thoughts. 

The next day was Friday, which I would've been stoked for except for the disheartening feeling that eluded from my body caused by the fact I had to work that day. Working at The Pizza Shack was no walk in the park. I was the top pizza delivery boy, and only had fifty minutes to get to and from deliveries. 

I threw my uniform into the car before taking off for school, I would have just enough time to get to The Pizza Shack and change into my polo after school got out. I was pretty early for school that day, so I stayed at my locker until more people showed up. Once the clock neared 7:30, my classmates began to flood in. 

"Hey Bren," I heard my name being addressed from the opposite side of the hallway. I turned my attention to the goddess-like figure who called me. Her jeans were tightly fitted, and she wore a tshirt that was cut low enough to make a guy stare. I approached her bravely and smiled as she dragged her blonde hair to her shoulders. 

"Good morning Danielle," I greeted her. Standing nearly five inches apart, I flexed my arm to my neck. 

"How's your family?" she asked me. Before I could answer, she continued, "I heard about your brother."

I hadn't told anyone about Michael, except for Pete and Schoop. That's when I remembered, Brooke Valentine had been hung around Pete's arm for the past week (she was his Girl of the Week as he likes to call it). The school's biggest gossip, and close friend of Danielle's must have told someone, which is the exact opposite of what I wanted to happen. When someone is close to another who's sick, everyone always treats them differently, and that's not what I wanted to have happen to me.

 "I'm here for you," Danielle rested a dainty hand on my bicep, "if you need to talk." I remained coy, as she fluttered her eyelashes, "Hopefully we can hang out this weekend."

To respond I nodded. Danielle took in my shyness and decided to leave. I would've talked to her about the weekend, but the minute she brought up Michael I couldn't think of anything else. I pictured my pale brother at home in bed, looking sicker and sicker as the minutes went by. I could feel my face getting hot from my upsetting thoughts, so I ran into the nearest classroom before anyone saw my pain. Quickly, I closed the door behind me. Still resting my grip on the doorknob, I let a long breath fill the empty classroom. 

"Mr. Seagle?" a curious sound acknowledged my presence.

I was startled that someone else was in the room, however I recognized the voice immediately, "Good morning Mr. Anderson."

"Can I help you with something?" Mr. Anderson rose up from behind his desk. His tie was loose, and his buttoned up shirt was only buttoned to the fifth button, yet he still looked professional for his teaching position. I reflected on what he looked like the previous year I had him for Speech class, and it didn't seem like he aged one bit. He rested his thighs against the edge of his desk and crossed his arms in front of him, waiting for me to talk.