Different

Emily's charity event started at midnight, and since I was forced to jog the whole way to the church, I didn't show up until around 1 A.M. The minute I entered through the heavy doors, my eyes connected with Emily's. I could tell she wasn't exactly happy with me. She was lifting heavy boxes onto a nearby table that had a sign on it claiming it was where donations were to be dropped. I rushed over to help her, "Allow me."

I tried to take the box from her, but she refused, "Does it look like I need help?" I could tell she was annoyed with me, but I deserved it. I had showed up late, and it obviously upset her.

"Yes," I admitted, "Face it Em, you can't carry all these boxes by yourself." Finally, she let her guard down and allowed me to help, "Great event," I sarcastically complimented her. The church was filled with elderly people, a couple of families that probably belonged to the church, plus Emily and myself. There was a heated match of bingo going on in one corner, and the rest of the people were huddled at the other corner talking amongst themselves. Emily glared at me, regarding my compliment, then she sighed realizing it was true. 

An older woman suddenly came up to us, "When can we eat?" her crackled voice wondered, "I heard this was a feast."

"No Ma'am, it's a fast. We're not supposed to be eating," Emily explained kindly. 

"I skipped Dance Night at the retirement home for this?" the old woman complained, crossing her arms.

Emily groaned, understanding that the night was a complete disaster. Thankfully, I was there to save the day, "What's your name Ma'am?" I asked the older woman. She politely responded that her name was Nancy, "Well, Nancy, tonight is your lucky night. There is a dance portion of the evening," I paused to take a look at my watch, "and it's starting right about now." 

Since I was familiar with the church, I knew exactly where they kept their stereo. I rolled it out from behind some chairs and cranked the music up. I found a microphone and turned it on to announce that there was a conga line about to erupt from the dance floor. I grabbed Nancy by the hand and had her lead me, and a couple others that wanted to join, around the church. I made eye contact with Emily, who was laughing and smiling. I knew this event was important to her, so I was determined to make it the best night possible. 

After countless dances to Y.M.C.A and other popular wedding songs, a slow song started to play. Although Nancy begged for me to dance with her, I told her that I was going to try to get the cute red head to come dance with me. "Go get her, Brenden!" Nancy cheered me on, and I laughed leaving her on the dance floor with a man more her age. 

 I approached Emily once again, admiring the way she looked in her jeans and white t-shirt. Her hair was pulled back to reveal her face, and I can honestly say she had never looked more beautiful. Although she was busy counting donations, I stopped her and placed my hand over hers. I had caught her attention, and she paused to look up at me. Her mouth curved into a smile, revealing her perfect teeth, "I swear, if you don't dance with me, I am going to order a pizza for all these starving people," I threatened her playfully.

She scoffed, knowing that I was bluffing. However, she set down her clipboard and decided to dance with me. As we walked on the dance floor, Nancy nudged my arm in approval. Emily laughed then slipped her arms around my neck. I pulled her close, resting my hands on her hips, "I know you left the party to come here," Emily began a conversation. 

I looked down at my feet a little ashamed, "I'm really sorry, Em," I tried to be as sincere as possible so she would know that I meant it.

"Why didn't you just tell me you had a girlfriend?" Emily interrogated. I was shocked that this came from her, especially since I didn't think a lot of people knew about Danielle and I. I gave her a confused look, then she finally explained, "Your friend told me, Peter."