Chapter 67: This Is The End

I have to blink once more to affirm that what I'm seeing before me is actually real.

And it is.

Scott kneels on the floor, his face a bloody mess, and his nose looking slightly crooked. His clothing is tattered and dirty, but he still looks the same. The same dirty blonde curls and mesmerising green eyes. However, they no longer seem to have the same hypnotic effect they once had on me.

I shake my head, and look down at the mess I created. Cold pasta litters the marble staircase as well as shards of porcelain.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Matteo's father yells at me.

I flinch at the harshness of his words. It's as if he just physically slapped me. I look up from the pasta towards him, and see the veins of anger protruding from his neck. I can see how he's been the cause for his family's grief. I don't know how Matteo lived with this man.

"I'm sorry." I apologise, reaching down to pick up the shards of bowl which I had dropped.

"Leave it. That's what we have maids for." He snaps at me.

I stand abruptly and shyly nod my head, no daring to look in Scott's direction. I can't let them know that I know him. Then he'll surely be killed on the spot. I have to speak to Scott, I need to find a way...

"What are you waiting for, I gave you orders, did I not?" The room breaks out into a bustle of commotion as Scott is lifted from the floor and dragged through to the opposite end of the house away from me. Our eyes meet once more, and I see the understanding in his eyes.

Once the entryway is free of any souls, I hurry back up the stairs towards my room. I should get changed and put some shoes on. They said they would take him to the stables... Now I just need to find where the stables are - And not get caught. Piece of cake.

However I know that when I reach my room, It will not be as much of a piece of cake as I would have thought. The door remains slightly ajar and I push it open to see Matteo inside, sitting on my bed.

"Matteo." I breathe.

His head looks up to me, and his eyes widen. He stands and takes a step towards me. "How did it go?" He asks.

I furrow my brows in confusion. Wouldn't the doctor have told him.

Matteo seems to notice my confusion and takes another step towards me. "I asked Sofia not to tell me. I thought it would be something you wanted to tell, rather than me prying..." He mumbles, looking away from me.

I notice his face redden a bit, and my heart flutters.

"I - Thank you." I give Matteo a small, but genuine smile. "I'm not pregnant."

He turns to look me in the eyes, and they seem to glint with... Hope?

"And are you happy?" He asks, taking another step closer to me. I can feel my body growing warmer the smaller the distance between us becomes.

"Relieved." I say.

He takes in a deep breath. "And what of the nausea, what is that supposed to be?"

I bite my lip and look down at the floor. "She suspected it was from the recent infection I had a few months ago." I whisper. But I know Matteo heard me.

I look up to see him staring at me with saddened eyes. "I'm sorry." Is all he says. But this time it holds much more weight than all the previous times. This time I know he's saying it for real.

I take a step towards me, until we are standing so close, that I can feel his breath fanning my face. I take his hand in mine. "It's alright." I say.

We stare into each other's eyes for what feels like forever, and I can feel both of our bodies gravitating towards each other. The heat between us is immense, and I glance down at his rosy lips.