Chapter 32: The First Threat

Alice (Rain) POV:

One day earlier...

"Make sure he doesn't see you. We don't need any complications." Harry says to me as we enter the restaurant where he is to meet Matteo Giovanni for dinner.

I, however, have been left to sit as a table close by and make sure nothing goes too wrong. As much as I hate staying on the sidelines though, I know the risk of Matteo recognising me is too high, and we can't have him getting suspicious at all or we might just be screwed.

"Yes, yes, we've gone over this multiple times." I groan as I pull my dress down my legs. As I fix my hair, pulling out strands to frame my face, my eyes can't help but wonder to Harry who has begun walking towards the entrance of the five-star restaurant.

He is clad in his usual suit, but somehow in this setting, he looks even more handsome. And I hate myself for thinking that. Why can't I get over him? He was the one who dumped me!

I roll my eyes before following him at a distance.

"Do you have a reservation Ma'am?" The receptionist asks me as I enter through the doors.

I nod my head. "Yes, It's for seven o'clock under the name Elena." I say, using my fake name just in case Matteo decides to look into attendance...

One can never be too careful.

"Yes, right this way." The lady says and begins guiding me through the fancy restaurant with beautiful chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. Tables are a good metre distance apart from each other meaning that it will be unlikely that Matteo will be able to see me.

"Just here." She motions to a table which is right where we had planned. I had made sure to book a table near the large open glass doors that lead out onto a balcony, as we knew that Matteo always sat as the one five tables over near the window.

Don't ask me why.

Taking my seat, I situate my gaze on the two men who sit five tables away, talking to each other in a very civilised manner, though I can tell by the posture of Matteo's back, he is very tense. Harry had said that he was very resistant in wanting to meet for dinner.

Though he hadn't said why... I'm not even sure what excuse Harry used to meet with Matteo in the first place. I have no idea what they are discussing, all I know is that Harry is trying to get Matteo to divulge all information he knows about Mia from him.

***

I munch on my Caesar salad as I continue to watch Matteo and Harry talk. It's been forty five minutes, and I feel like I'm losing my mind. They're talking and talking, nothing is happening and I feel myself falling asleep.

It also doesn't help that I'm here alone, I've caught multiple glances from couples looking at me strangely.

Just as I take another bite from my salad, Matteo stands abruptly from the table, and yells something indiscernible at Harry, throwing his hands in the air. Then he goes into his pocket and pulls out some cash, throwing it onto the table before storming off.

What did Harry just say to make him flip like that?

I meet eyes with Harry, and he looks almost just as confused as me.

Not wanting to spend another second at the table alone, I drop some notes on the table and stand, heading towards Harry who has also stood, preparing to leave.

"What was that about?" I ask.

Harry shrugs. "He received a text and then flipped." Is all he says before walking to the exit.

"Wait." I hiss as I grab his arm, stopping him from going on any further.

"Is it him? Do you think he's the one who took Mia?" I ask, clutching onto him as if he's a lifeline. I don't know how Roman will be if he finds out we are no closer to finding who took his daughter.

Harry's lips purse and he looks anywhere but my eyes. "No." He says. "It's not him."

I dig my fingernails into my palm and take in a deep breath.

My phone call to Roman tonight will not be pleasant.

Matteo Giovanni POV:

Present day...

"What about The Notebook?" Mia asks playfully, looking at Dante for an answer with a smirk across her lips.

It's only been over a day since I've last seen her, but it feels like it's been a year. Every time I see Mia, it's like seeing her for the very first time all over again. My breath hitches in my throat and I feel like I'm having heart palpitations.

"I'd prefer not." I say, interrupting before Dante can say anything back.

I don't like the way Mia was looking at him at all, Dante needs to learn that she belongs to me, and Mia needs to learn that she can't just look at another man like that. I don't want her smiling for any other man, but me.

Mia snaps her head to me and I meet those crystal blue eyes once again. I refrain from inhaling a sharp breath. "W-what are you doing here?" She stutters. "I thought you were going to Japan."

I furrow my brows, trying to recall when I told her about that. She probably heard me talking about it at some point. "I am, I just had to pick up a few things before I left."

Mia nods her head.

"It's time to go." I say.

Mia's face drops in utter horror at my words, and I feel terrible that I'm the one causing her that fear. I had thought about leaving Mia behind when I had gone back to New York yesterday, but after dinner last night, and the threatening text i had received, i couldn't risk any harm coming to her, especially when i am not around.

After I had seen the threatening text, I instantly doubled security on the house, and made sure that no one was to enter or leave.

Kill Mia or release her to me, otherwise her mother will suffer the consequences.

The threat was certainly real. I know that for sure, and so I even had some of my men in Australia watching Mia's Mum, sending reports to me.

"I'm not going with you to Japan." Mia says, mustering all the courage in her.

I sigh. I didn't think she would cooperate, but it doesn't make it hurt any less. I'm taking her with me to keep her safe, but she can't know that. She can't know that her mother is in danger. It would break her.

It looks like I'll have to do this the hard way, even if it means she'll hate me a little more.

------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys!
This chapter took me sooooo long to write, I am just so dead and tired lmao.
Hope you enjoyed!
-FoggyCloudyWords