Chapter 36 - then

We arrived at the next resort. It was stunning - traditional huts on stilts in a semi-circle around the shoreline. Before dinner, I was sitting on the deck, admiring the tropical fish swimming in the water under our hut. Alistair came out, leant against the rail and nervously said, 'I just wanted to say ... about last night ... I'm sorry ... I don't usually do that stuff. I feel dreadful. This is supposed to be our honeymoon. I'm so sorry.'

I appreciated his effort. 'Thank you,' I said. 'But you must know, I found it creepy and weird and it's going to take me a while to get that image of the two of you out of my head. Why don't we start off as friends and we can go from there?'

He seemed to breathe out a sigh of relief.

Without all the pressure of the two of us doing the deed, we began to get along better. We went out to dinner at a gorgeous round open air restaurant, and we gorged ourselves. Alistair ate seafood and I ate noodles and we laughed at the misspellings on the menu: 'crap dip' and 'fired shrimp'. After dinner we went for a swim in the dark. The water was warm and salty. We were just like friends. He didn't try to kiss me. He respected what I'd said. We went back to our hut and ate chocolate bars from the bar fridge and watched a movie. Then we went to bed and slept with our backs to each other again, perfectly content.