Chapter 60 - then

They were trialling 'teacher projection' at school, a new advancement in education for our specialist classes. To ensure that girls at our school were given the full range of subjects, even if there were only three or four students who wanted to do that class, they were now projecting a hologram of a teacher in the class. It was breakthrough technology, developed in Canberra, and it was being rolled out in select private schools throughout Australia.

An assistant teacher was hired to sit in the class and watch over us to make sure we weren't misbehaving while the hologram teacher taught us. It was the first time I'd been in one of these classes. There were two other girls with me. Classical Studies wasn't a popular subject.

The projected teacher looked like a real person standing there. Her feet were positioned on the ground, her body was to scale, her face was full of expression. She began to talk, but something strange happened to me ... her words projected missiles through my head, rainbow poppers, bursting in my brain. I felt like everything she said was building compartments in my mind, her words were multi-dimensional, 'myth' was a word on the far left and behind a corner, 'Troy' was diagonally bottom right. Her words were on the end of a whip, lashing me.

'Stop!' I heard myself yell, before everything went black.