21. NICKNAMES

| CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE |

NICKNAMES.

"SO, YOU AND BLACK?" JAMES asked nonchalantly as he and Ophelia walked through the deserted hallways. It was their first Prefect duty since they were back and even though the encounter he spotted at the train station was still fresh on his mind, he had also spotted the sunflower ring on her finger; something that caused his heart to flutter and his ego to rise. She had also smiled at him during the welcome back meal in the Great Hall, a smile he most certainly missed over the last couple of weeks.

The blonde glanced at James, a puzzled look on her face, "What?" She asked, her soft voice relaxing him instantly; it was yet another thing he missed about her over the Christmas break (well, technically, he missed pretty much everything about her). 

"Regulus."

Ophelia was still looking at him confused.

James let out a sigh, his gaze finally dropping from the blonde, "Are you two....you know...together?"

Ophelia watched as the spectacled boy besides her refusing to meet her eye (something that was quite strange for him). His smile was almost non-existent, his hands shoved in his trouser pockets and his shoulders hunched over, as if he was trying to hide himself away, "No, what made you think that?" She questioned, observing his demeanour as his head shot up to look at her again.

"Oh, just a question I'm asking everyone," James shrugged nonchalantly, doing his best to keep his smile hidden away.

Ophelia couldn't help but chuckle, "Are you now?"

James nodded, "Yep. I even asked Moony."

"Moony?"

He cursed under his breath, "I mean, Remus."

Ophelia nodded, she had heard the nicknames the Marauders used for one another, yet, to this day she still didn't know where they all came from and when she's tired, curiosity gets the best of her, "What's with the nicknames?" She finally asked.

James' eyes widened momentarily, "O-Oh, it's....It's our Patronuses," He told her in a rushed voice, quietly relieved that he managed to come up with such a quick and quite logical answer.

Ophelia nodded understandingly, "So, Remus' is a wolf?"

James gulped but nodded, "Y-Yeah. Rat for Peter a-and a dog for Sirius."

"What about yours?" The blonde asked before a lightbulb went off in her head, "Prongs, isn't it? A deer?"

James nodded, silently hoping that the conversation would move away from this topic quickly.

"That's cute," The blonde muttered mindlessly, her eyes observing some of the paintings on the walls. It was strange, she felt like she was actually enjoying this Prefect duty. It was pretty calming and being back in James' presence made her feel oddly relaxed (and certainly much happier than she had been back at home). He hadn't tried to make a move on her, he hadn't even asked her out on a date, instead, they enjoyed normal civilised conversations, like two friends would, "My Patronus is a doe."