Chapter 28: Aftermath

Alana POV

The night was perfect. I danced the night away with Leila and my friends by my side. I was gasping for air when I felt someone lightly touch my shoulder. Dimitri stood behind me. His eyes pointed to the door leading outside and I smiled and followed him.

The brisk air felt good after being cooped up in a hot room dancing. I was having the time of my life.

I was soaring.

Dimitri smiled and took me in, “You look beautiful Alana. Just like your mother.”

I smiled, for the first time feeling like my old self.

“Well don’t forget I have a rather handsome dad as well.” I said playfully.

He smiled and put his arm around my shoulders.

I smiled as I leaned in and laid my head on his shoulder.

For the first time ever when I blew the candles out on my cake I would not have to wish for a father. Because I already had one. In that moment it didn’t matter how much time we had not known about each other.

He cleared his throat and I felt him feel around in his coat pocket. He pulled out a lavender wrapped small box.

He handed it to me. My hands shook as I looked at him and back at the precious gift. I took my time cherishing it as I opened it up.

I nearly fainted when I realized it was a jewelry box. No one had ever bought me jewelry before.

He cleared his throat again, “Before you open it I just want you to know that I really had no idea what to get you.”

I smiled gazing at him. I lifted the lid and felt tears well in my eyes. Inside was a silver charm bracelet. The charm hanging from it was a number 16 with little diamonds all around it.

“When Viktoria turned sixteen, my mother saved all the money she could to get her a charm bracelet. And each year since then my mother has saved her money to get her a charm. Viktoria doesn’t wear it often but she cherishes it. It was her idea to do the same for you. To keep the tradition in our family.”

I felt the tears invade me and felt a lump in my throat. Dimitri took my arm and wrapped the bracelet around my wrist. It fit perfectly. The shiny 16 caught the light.

I looked at him and hugged him so hard it probably hurt him. He hugged me back. Then for the first time I officially accepted his as my dad.

“I love you dad.” I said feeling my tears flow.

He paused and kiss the top of my head, “I love you too Alana.”

Then I spent the rest of the night sitting on the porch sharing my first birthday with my dad.