Chapter 9: Unexpected Surprises

Chapter 9

Rose POV

The next morning I felt like a truck had ran me over. My head ached from the entire emotional overflow from the night before and the realization that for once I didn't feel like a weight was pushing on my heart. Dimitri and Alana both now knew the truth and having that lifted from my shoulders had me a little worried but relieved.

I rolled over on my back and found myself sinking into Lissa's head. For once, though she was encouraging me. I could tell she was anxious and my nerves sparked when I felt her call to me.

Rose…I need you…please come talk to me

I jumped out of bed not bothering to rattle through the rest of Lissa's thoughts. I didn't even stop to change my clothes or lace my shoes. I bolted for the door barely registering Alana's sleeping body on the couch. As I paced across campus I found myself in the front of Lissa's little home. I didn't bother to knock. I was bracing myself for a fight. As I approached Lissa's bedroom though I could see that she was sitting in bed just staring into space.

"Lissa? Lissa is everything alright?"

He eyes darted to me and she smiled, "Of course I just wanted to see if you were alright with all that had happened. I didn't think you would be awake."

I look of approval washed over her and through the bond I could sense she was proud that she had succeeded in calling me to her.

I lowered myself onto the bed next to her and sighed with relief.

Lissa began to rub my head in a soothing way, "Okay so spill…what all happened last night?"

I mentally groaned. I was so confused with my emotions and feelings and thoughts that it was hard to even summarize the events that occurred the night before for Lissa.

She seemed to regard my tense posture and through the bond I felt the effects of spirit radiating from her. She was trying to heal my hurt but I hated to tell her that there were some pains you just couldn't heal.

"Well let's just say all my dirty laundry is out on the cloths wire now."

A wave of approval flashed between the bond and instantly I knew she right. Dimitri and Alana knowing was a good thing. But I still couldn't shake off the feeling of being exposed.

Lissa just shrugged, "Was he happy?"

I launched into the encounter with Dimitri and Lissa seemed very intrigues and saddened.

When I was finished sympathy passed through the bond.

"I'm sorry Rose I really thought him staying here would be a good thing."

I shrugged her off, "It doesn't matter. What's done is done. But when were you going to tell me you were pregnant and attempting to run for queen?"

Lissa seemed sheepish and shrugged, "Well I wanted to tell you but so much was going on it didn't seem like you had the time."

I patted her shoulder meeting her eyes, "No matter what I'm going through don't ever think you need to hold back from telling me what's going on with you. It's my job to be here for the both of us."

She seemed to want to argue but a phone call interrupted us.

She answered in that lively way she had and then news had me stiffen. I didn't need the bond to know something was wrong and I didn't need her to voice what happened after she hung up the phone. We sat in a stunned silence for several seconds before I spoke.

"Is it really true?"

Lissa seemed dazed, "It has to be."

Lissa swallowed and I began to sweat. I grasped Lissa's hand in reassurance as she spoke once more.