Chapter 22: Getaway Cars, Breakdowns and Love Triangles Oh My!

As you may have caught on already in a previous chapter Viktoria said Ivan’s dad was named Nikolai. Master was revealed to be Aleksei. THIS IS NOT A MISTAKE.

Chapter 22--Getaway Cars, Breakdowns and Love Triangles Oh My!

Leila POV

I had not attended a spirit lesson in weeks. But I missed Adrian and his witty remarks. I even missed Andre and Lissa. So I decided to pay Adrian a visit. I loved Adrian. Love as in family. He was like my older brother and sometimes I wished he really was. So a huge smile spread across my face when he opened the door.

“Well hello little cousin.” Adrian said, sidestepping and letting me walk into his rather filthy home. I say filthy because to me it was. The smell of clove cigarettes hung in the air and remnants of alcohol were also present. Either way in a strange way, his house reminded me of home. Probably because this is where I felt safe. Where I didn’t have to hide who I was. I had not used spirit since my vision episodes and I still felt odd coming to Adrian to do so.

“So what I can do you Leila?” Adrian asked handing me a cold bottle of water he had removed from his stainless steel fridge. I shrugged my shoulders as I opened the bottle and felt the cool liquid slid down my throat. A flash of the names that had been haunting me entered my head but I quickly recovered. I took another swig of the water before continuing, “ I want to practice.”

Adrian looked at me oddly. His hair was tousled and he seemed to be slightly worried, “ I don’t think that’s such a good idea. You’ve used too much spirit the last few days. It can’t be good for you.”

I huffed and set the bottle down, a bit harder than I had expected also. Adrian’s eyes watched me curiously before he spoke once more, “Something’s bugging you. I can see it in your aura. “

So I caved. I told Adrian about the flashes. About the names that had been haunting me. About Ivan tied to a bed and Nora stuck in some dark, dark place. And he listened, which was nice. He waited until I was done before he spoke.

“It’s not nothing Leila. You are having tiny visions. I wouldn’t say anything to Lissa or anyone yet though.Not till there’s a real chance it could be true. Spirit could be playing tricks on you.”

I did not get a chance to answer before there was a knock on the door. Adrian rolled his eyes as he stood. I stayed seated, taking another drink from the water bottle. I heard him laugh from the foyer.

“Oh come on Jail Bait...” Adrian snickered from the foyer. A female voice answered in a bored way, “ Are you ever going to let that nickname stay in the past?”

Adrian laughed again as he entered the room with a mousy brown haired Moroi woman, “ Never.”

Adrian walked back to his perch on the bar stool and the woman followed as she stuck out her hand to me. Her smile was warm and she seemed slightly shocked that Adrian was not alone, “Well hello there. I’m Jill Mastrano.”

I shook her hand and smiled, “ Leila. Leila Voda.” Jill’s eyes sparkled as recognition covered her face. She probably already knew I was the dumb girl that was getting married to an even dumber guy due to my politic obsessed mother. However, she didn’t say anything. She sat and took her own bottle of water from Adrian.

Adrian sighed, “ So what can I do for you Jail Bait?”

Jill scrunched her eyes into tiny slits but just shrugged her shoulders, “ I had to get away. Mia and Eddie are so down right now. I just can’t bear to watch them that upset. They are too good of people to be suffering like this.”

I looked down at my hands. Jill was right. The Castille’s were good hearted people. They were a quiet family but whenever I went to Alana’s for dinner and the Castille’s were there they were nothing but full f energy and love. They were a true family. Something I envied. I did not have that type of relationship with my own parents. My father had gone bitter throughout the years. He barely spoke anymore. My mother was the one who had made both him and I miserable. Yet my father was too nice of a man to tell her otherwise. Adrian’s voice pulled me out of my thoughts, “ I’ve been trying to visit them in their sleep. No such luck however. I don’t think either one of them are really sleeping.” I could hear the undertones in Adrian’s voice. If they weren’t sleeping, which was unlikely, the only other reason Adrian would not be able to visit them was because it meant Nora and Ivan were dead. It was a thought that no one had really wanted to think. Yet we all knew it was a strong possibility.