Chapter 11

PAVLO

I can’t believe I am the next one to get married.  I thought I would be the last.  I was wrong.  If it weren’t for my yiayia’s revision on the will, I would have been the last—or be a bachelor for life.

I sighed as I spend my afternoon looking at the plans made for my impending wedding.  It is scheduled next week, in the office of Judge Cirilos.  Every was already polished and prepared.  I even convinced her aunts to let me marry their niece.  A promise of forever and everything was in my pitch.  We are doing our best to put up a show in front of them, making them believe that it was love at first sight.

Love at first sight, I laugh at the thought.  I never believed in that—or the word love itself.  Thought yiayia wants me to get married in Agapi Nisi, I went against it—no.   That kind of wedding is for couples who love each other—not us.  Ours is a marriage of convenience.  She married me because she needs to secure her beloved house and the attractive compensation I offered her.

I sighed.  I stood up and went to my mini bar in the office.  I took out my favorite white wine and a glass.  I poured some in the glass and drank it straight.

My thoughts went back to the casino event last Saturday.  It has been days since the casino event.  Days have past since I last saw my fiance.  I was fighting the urge to see her.  I must say I enjoy her company.  I miss her laugh, and her jokes.  She is fun to be with.  And this is not a good sign because I am starting to like her.

I went back to my table and remembered the things we did at the casino event.  It is really fun to see her reactions when she makes a bet.  If she is just playing a role—I must say she has done a good job.  I have never seen any woman who is as ignorant as her when it comes to things like gambling.  I can’t help but to compare her with other woman who enjoys to be the center of attention and loves being in the casino.  When she learned that she betted half million in the poker, she nearly fainted.  She was nearly paper white.  How can she not love money?  A lot of things about her remains a mystery.

I went back to my table and sat in my chair.  Various things are entering my mind.  First thing was to make some changes in our contract.  I want to bed her.  I should control myself but I can’t help it.  My mouth waters when I see her wrapped into perfection.  Lascivious thoughts hampered my sleep at night since then.  Damn, this shouldn’t be. 

I don’t want to have the same fate as my father.  My mother fell in love with my father.  But when she smelled money, everything changed.  The real colors of the peacock finally showed.  Like my father, she also had a strings of lovers.  She blamed my father that he maintained her paramours first, that’s why she had hers, too.