Twelve

"Lindir", Luin greeted as he and Legolas entered Elrond's courtyard. The meeting was being held outside where there was enough space, yet still privacy. The late afternoon sun was warm over Rivendale. Lindir, a handsome brown haired elf who had worked as Elrond's right hand man as long as Luin could remember, gave them a slightly frazzled look.

"Ah, Prince Legolas and the Mirkwood company", he greeted with a short bow. Legolas and his men returned the gesture with formal nods of their heads. "If you would take the seats on the other side of the Gondor men please. Best keep them between you and the dwarves". His face soured as he looked at the group of dwarves. The group all laughing very loudly.

Legolas stepped away from Luin's side towards the seats, his men following him. Luin laughed and took a step closer to Lindir. "Trouble with the dwarves Lindir?" He asked in amusement. Lindir gave him a wide eyed stressed look.

"Dwarves", he hissed under his breath. "I hold respect for them as a race but by the Valar, they are obnoxious. They have only been here one day and yet I find the wine cellars significantly lacking. This is almost as bad as the time Mithrandir brought Oakenshield and his party here. If I find one more dwarf bathing or trying to bathe in one of our fountains I'm going to cut off some beards!" He whispered, hands gesturing wildly. Luin laughed and patted him on the shoulders, far too amused to be calming.

"Lindir", he soothed. It was very hard not to giggle. "The dwarves mean no harm. It's just cultural differences. I'm sure they will not stay long". Lindir huffed and wrinkled his nose in disagreement. At that point Elrond and Gandalf walked over.

"Is everything felt with Lindir?" Elrond asked.

Lindir's expression cleared. "Yes lord Elrond. You may begin".

Elrond turned and walked back to his throne. It was positioned at the head of the group, all of the chairs surrounding a small wooden table. Luin and Gandalf took their places at his left with their staffs held visibly at their sides. All the others were seated. Legolas and his elves were seated on Luin's other side. All wearing green and with bows and quivers slung on their backs. Next to them were the five men from Gondor. Black armour with the silver sigil of a tree and shaggy hair, pale next to the beauty of the elves. On the human's other side were the five dwarves. The only visible parts being the heavy armour and large busy beards in deep browns and reds. Aragorn sat between Elrond and the dwarves. By himself and yet not isolated. Frodo, the only hobbit, was seated between Gandalf and Elrond. His childlike stature seemingly lost in the crowd.

"Strangers from distant lands, friends of old", Elrond began, tone grave. "You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor". Everyone's faces turned wide eyed and dark at the mention of the black lands. "Middle earth stands on the brink of destruction. None can escape it. We will unite or we will fall. Each race is bound to this fate. This one doom". Elrond turned and held out a arm. "Bring forth the ring Frodo".

Nervously, the little hobbit stood and walked over to the centre table. He placed the ring down with a inaudible clink. The golden band glinting seemingly harmless in the light. Luin exchanged looks with Legolas. His lover's face concerned and suddenly understanding. He watched as Legolas and Aragorn exchanged similar looks. He could feel it, they all could. The slight unease the ring produced. The whispers it seemed to emit. A calling for it. It gave Luin's mouth a bad taste.

"So it is true", the leader of the Gondor men breathed. He was the Sandy haired man Luin had seen arriving yesterday. Boromir, he recalled Gandalf calling him. The oldest son of gondor's steward. Boromir stood up, all eyes turning to him. "In a dream", he spoke to the group. "I saw the eastern skies grow dark but in the west a pale light shimmered. It seemed to be crying 'your doom is near at hand. Isildur's bane is found'". As he spoke he took slow steps towards the table, eyes darting down to the ring.

Luin stood up just as he reached for it. "Boromir!" Elrond called. The man jerked back in surprise. Gandalf was on his feet and screaming in a dark ancient language. His voice booming and terrifying as thunder seemed to crack and the light faded. Luin knew what he was saying. The poem he was reciting. But he could not help but flinch at the words as the whole courtyard drew back. He saw Legolas close his eyes as he grimaced. Elrond bringing his hands up to his temple. The humans suddenly shaking and the dwarves going still in their seats. The words bringing a coldness to the sunny day.

"Ash nazg durbatulûk,
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulûk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

Gandalf stopped and the light came back. The cold receded and Luin relaxed his knuckles where he had been gripping his staff so hard his knuckles were turning white. The people in the courtyard visibly deflated in relief. "Never before has any tongue uttered those words here in Imladris", Elrond snapped.

"I do not ask your pardon lord Elrond", Gandalf stated firmly. "For the black speech of Mordor May yet be heard in every corner of the west. The ring is altogether evil!" He eyed Boromir and the men from Gondor on those last words.

"It is a gift", Boromir argued, not yet hearing reason. Luin was starting to get slightly annoyed. "It is a gift. A gift to the throes of Mordor. Why not use this ring? Long had my father, the steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your kingdoms kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let use use it against him!"

"And what was the incident at Erebor sixty years ago?" Luin asked calmly. He stared at Boromir evenly, not backing down as the man glared at him. "Do you call that keeping the forces of Mordor at bay? Letting three armies of orcs and goblins and trolls sneak past Gondor. Erebor is north of Mordor and Mordor is surrounded by pathless mountains.  The only way in and out is through the gates. And yet three whole armies snuck past your kingdom and no signal from Gondor". Luin flicked the sleeve of his robe so that it fell perfectly over his lap, not breaking eye contact with Boromir. The man was visibly gritting his teeth.

"You cannot wield it. None of us can", Aragorn burst. His voice breaking the stand off. "The one ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master".

Boromir turned to him. Aragorn a easier argument than Luin. "And what would a ranger know of this matter?" He snarled.

"This is no mere ranger!" Legolas was on his feet. "This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance". Boromir's eyes widened and Legolas' lips twitched at the corner. Luin knew that he was trying hard not to smirk.

"Aragorn?" Boromir repeated, staring at Aragorn in surprise. "This is isildur's heir?"

"And heir to the throne of Gondor".

"Sit down Legolas", Aragorn asked, hand raised. Legolas nodded and sat down. He turned to Luin, who smirked widely at him. Legolas' lips formed a small smile back, content with what he had done. Across the courtyard Aragorn rolled his eyes at his two friend's exchange.

"Gondor has no king", Boromir snapped. "Gondor needs no king". He sat down and went silent.

"Aragorn is right", Gandalf spoke up. "We cannot use it".

"The ring will corrupt all those who try into Sauron's control", Luin added. "We have no hope of turning it against him and will only die if we try".

"Gandalf and Luin is right", Elrond announced. "That leaves us only one choice. The ring must be destroyed".

"What are we waiting for?" The red beaded dwarf growled. It was the first time he had spoken so far. He stood up and snatched up his axe. He brought the blade down on the table with a almighty crash. Luin flinched as wave of dark energy seemed to burst around him. It only lasted for a second and then it was gone. The axe in pieces on the floor and the ring sitting unharmed on the table. The dwarf feel back with a shout, staring up at the ring in shock.

"The ring cannons be destroyed Gimli, son of Gloin", Elrond spoke loudly. "By any craft we here possess. The ring was made in the fires of mount doom. Only there can it be unmade".

Unedited