Twenty six

The orcs continued running for three days and three nights straight. Luin spent the majority of it in various states of unconsciousness. He hadn't drunk or eaten since leaving Lothlorien. Normally that wouldn't have been an issue as he would be able to practise inertia. His spiritual energy able to sustain him for months, even years without needing to eat or drink. He often only used inertia in dire circumstances as it made it hard for him to fight at full power. But the spirit binding rope had cut off his Qi. Reducing his body to that of a normal humans. He was dehydrated, bruised and battered.

When he was awake, it was in short moments of dizziness and fever. He tried to talk to Merry and Pippin but the orcs holding them had moved further towards the back of the group. The two hobbits too far away too talk. Luin could see them watching him with large worried eyes. They looked better than he was. Pale and a bit bruised, but not as roughed up. He assumed that the hobbits had been offered water. Saruman obviously wanted them in better condition than he wanted Luin. (Saruman never really liked him anyway, even before he turned evil).

On the third night, the orcs finally stopped. Luin woke up with a jolt as he was dropped to the ground. It was dark, the moon obscured by clouds. He could barely see. They appeared to be in the edges of a forest. The trees looming as a dark shadow on their left. "We ain't going no further!" One of the orcs complained. "Until we've had a breather".

"Get a fire going!" A Uruk yelled. Several orcs ran into the woods on his command. Luin groaned and managed to wriggle himself up onto his knees. It was awkward with his arms still tied to his sides, and it hurt but he managed it. He began shuffling over the grass to where Merry and Pippin had been dropped.

"Where you going maggot?" A orc laughed as he kicked Luin in the chest, knocking him back onto the grass. It laughed again before turning back to the others.

"Luin!" Pippin called quietly. He and Merry wriggled their way over. "Are you okay?"

"Nothing too bad", Luin groaned. He flashed them a weak smile. A deep creaking moan echoed around them. The hobbits' eyes widened and they gazed out towards the forest nervously.

"What was that?" Pippin squeaked.

Luin sighed and rested his head against the grass. The cool night air helping him stay awake. "That was the trees", he whispered. "The old forests are alive you know". If this was the forest Luin guessed it to be, then Isenguard was about a day or two away.

"Like the stories", Merry grinned. The forest creaked and groaned. All of them glancing at it curiously. "Trees that can whisper, talk to each other, even move".

"I'm starving", a Uruk complained loudly. "We haven't had nothing but maggoty bread for three stinking days".

"Yeah", a orc whined. "Why can't we have some meats?" It turned and it's eyes caught Luin and the hobbits. It stared at them hungrily. "What about them? They're fresh".

"They are not for eating!" The Uruk who had been carrying Luin, snarled. The orc hissed, not removing it's stare from them.

Luin hissed as a Uruk hauled him heavily to his feet. The hobbits crying out in alarm behind him. "What about this one?" A orc asked. Luin's legs shook but he straightened his head. He refused to look scared. "We don't need him".

"He looks tasty. I'm sure the white wizard would not mind us eating him". A orc rushed at Luin with a grin. A Uruk shoved him back and the orc went stumbling into the dirt.

"Get back scum. The prisoners go to Saruman. Alive and unspoiled". The orcs and uruks all growled as they squared up to each other.

"We can spoil the wizard, can't we?" Another orc smirked. It eyed Luin as if it was working out where to plunge it's blade first.

"Just a mouthful", a orc suggested. Luin whirled, having not seen the creature sneaking up behind him. "A bit off the flank", the orc grinned as it raised it's blade. The Uruk struck first and Luin staggered back as the orc's head fell at his feet.

"Look's like meat is back on the menu boys", the Uruk announced. There were shouts and the whole orc party rushed towards the dead body of their brethren. Luin yelped as he was thrown out of the way. His body hitting the earth for the third time in a matter of minutes.

"Luin!" Merry and Pippin called. Luin whimpered as he raised his head. The world slightly blurry.

"Head to the forest", he hissed, trying to shake the dizziness away. "Quick, while they're distracted". Merry and Pippin began crawling towards the trees. Luin doing his best to shuffle after them.

"Where do you think you're going?" A orc snarled as it pressed a foot into Merry's back. The hobbit gasped. "Go on", the orc grinned evilly. "Call for help". Luin kicked it in the shin and it's leg gave way. The orc turned, snarling, then gave a shriek and collapsed. A spear sticking out of it's back.

"Riders!" Luin breathed as men on horseback emerged from the dark. He couldn't make out any details in the gloom. Merely watch as the riders attacked the orcs with a terrifying ferocity.

"Luin", Merry hissed. He and Pippin had pulled a blade from the dead orc's belt and were cutting their bonds. Once their hands were free, they crawled over to help. Small fingers pulling at the red rope as they tried to cut it. "What is this stuff made out of?" Merry huffed in frustration. The rope was taking longer to cut than they expected.

"Look out!" Luin cried as a horse reared up above them. Pippin screamed as they all rolled sharply. The hooves landing just where they had been lying. Luin wriggled onto his knees. "Get up! Get to the forest!" He commanded. The hobbits scrambled to their feet and helped pull Luin up into a standing position. He wriggled his arms. Only a few strands of the rope had been cut, but the majority of it was still knotted around his figure. "Go!" He called. "Run and don't look back!" The hobbits gave him wide eyed looks before obeying. Their small forms disappearing into the trees.

Luin huffed a breath of relief and began staggering after them. His legs feeling as shaky as a newborn dear. A orc shrieked as it died, body knocking into him as it fell. It's weight almost knocked Luin off balance but he righted himself and kept limping onwards. "Hey you!" A man's voice called. Luin didn't stop moving, picking up pace towards the trees. He didn't know wether these men were friend or foe. And he wasn't willing to take those chances.

The trees enveloped him in soft silence. The sounds of battle fading out as Luin staggered deeper into the forest. Merry and Pippin were long gone and he didn't know which way they had went. He just kept going blindly onwards. Ignoring the increasing blurriness of his vision. His foot caught on a protruding root and he gave a cry. Feel giving up as he fell. Body rolling in a painful fall down a small slope before coming to a stop in a pile of leaves. Luin blacked out.

Unedited