Thirty nine

The white light of the morning sun lit the battles field. The light unforgiving of the carnage around them. Eothain and Gandalf had chased the remaining orcs into fagorn forest where the trees had made short work of them. It had been a horrifying sight. The trees ripping the orcs apart. The screeches and shrieks echoing back to them. Luin had shivered at the sight. Suddenly very glad that the forest was his friend. Behind him, Legolas watched with wide eyes and a slight smugness. The elf glad that nature was rising back up again.

Once the orcs had disappeared they turned back to the castle. Luin dropping the shield around the doors and allowing the women and children out to greet those who had survived. The ground was awash with rubble and bodies. Human, orc, Uruk, and elf all lay strew across the battle field. None of the Lorien elves had survived. The sight of them lying broken set a deep sadness in him. Haldir and his men had all sacrificed themselves for their cause. They had died heroically but it didn't stop the grief in Luin's chest. He had known Haldir since he was two hundred years old. They had been friends for almost eight hundred years. The older elf acting a bit like a older brother whenever Luin would stay at Lothlorien. He would miss him.

They found Gimli sat on the chest of a dead Uruk. The dwarfs smoking a pipe as the survivors scoured the ruins for injured and any weapons they can claim. Looting a dead body was nether something they wanted to do but times were tough and they needed all the good blades they could get. "Final count", Legolas stated as he blushed his fingers along his bow. "Forty two".

"Forty two?" Gimli repeated. He nodded. "That's not bad for a pointy eared elvish princeling. I myself am sitting pretty on forty three". He grinned smugly.

Legolas frowned. In one smooth motion, he had drawn a arrow and shot it into the corpse. The shaft narrowly missing Gimli's leg. "Forty three", he replied with a smirk.

"He was already dead", Gimli scowled.

"He was twitching".

"That's because he's got my axe embedded in his nervous system!" Gimli patted the handle for emphasis. His axe blade buried deep within the uruk's skull. The corpse twitched at the movement. Legolas shrugged and Gimli grunted. "Hey Luin!" The dwarf called. "Give us your final count".

Luin picked his way through the bodies towards them. His clothes were torn and dirty, staff in his hands and swords once again sheathed at his waist. Black streaks were smudged across his face and his short hair was tangled. He looked up and Legolas held out his hand to him wordlessly. The elf able to see the sadness in his eyes. Luin took the hand and Legolas drew him close. The elf also had dirt smudging his clothes and his long blonde hair needed a brush. He tilted his head up to press his lips to Luin's forehead. "Are you alright Melethril?" He muttered.

"Only bruises", Luin replied softly. "Haldir didn't make it. He died a honourable death". Legolas' face fell at the news. He didn't know the Lorien elves, having only met Haldir once but he could mourn his lost kinsmen.

"I'm sorry". Legolas brushed his second hand over Luin's cheek soothingly. The wizard lent into the touch.

"Eurgh", Gimli muttered. "Story being sappy and give us your count Luin".

"Are you sure?" Luin forced a smile on to his face as he turned to the dwarf. "I'm afraid it outnumbers yours".

Gimli rolled his eyes. "Enough with the arrogance. Speak".

"Fifty six", Luin grinned. "I guess I'm the winner". Gimli grunted and Legolas chuckled.

"My fearsome fighter", the elf praised. He leant down to press their foreheads together and Luin closed his eyes at the touch.

"Are you alright?" He asked. Opening his eyes to double check the Prince for any injuries.

"Only bruises", Legolas repeated, smiling. He pressed a hand to Luin's waist. The touch brushing the sensitive spot where he had broken his ribs. Legolas caught the slight gasp and his eyes became concerned.

"Just a bad bruise. I am already heading and they will be gone within a day".

"Do you need more of your spiritual energy?" Legolas asked in concern. "My strength is yours".

Luin smiled at him fondly. "Nin Ithil, I shall be fine".

The blonde nodded but there was still worry in his eyes. Luin wondered how long Legolas would be wearing that look. Ever since the orcs had captured him, things had been off kilter. The elf not verbalising it but he had become more protective. Part of Luin loved it. He had been shaken since the ordeal. The feeling of being powerless frightening him much more than he would ever admit. The newly short strands tickling his neck and the scar across the skin constantly reminded him of that feeling. It left him on edge and slightly emotional. But a part of Luin, the part that was stubborn and determined, found the rise in protectiveness irking. He was over a thousand years old. He could protect himself.

He took a breath, pushing the stubbornness down. Legolas wasn't being pushy or pressing him about it. His behaviour had barely changed, Luin was just being tetchy. "So", he smiled slightly at them. "I win. What's my award?"

Gimli barked out a laugh. "I would offer ya a pint but you said that alcoholic doesn't tempt you. So I shall leave the prize up to your elf there". He wriggled his eyebrows and gave them a leer. Luin scowled at him and the dwarf laughed again. Legolas' face was calm but he could see the glitter in his eyes which said that he was trying hard not to smile.

Luin rolled his eyes at the two of them and walked away with a whirl of his cap. They spent the rest of the day burying the dead Lorien elves. They tried to bury some of the men too but there were too many dead and not enough time. Helms deep had been destroyed. They needed to head back to Rohan. When it came to burying Haldir, Aragorn did most of the work. Luin closed his friend's eyes and stepped back to allow them to lower him into the grave. Haldir's hands were wrapped around the hilt of his sword and his bow had been placed at his side. Legolas kept a hand on Luin's shoulder as the dirt covered the body up. Luin's eyes were shimmery with unspilt tears but he refused to let them fall.

As the last of dirt was smoothed over the top of the mound, Gandalf joined them. His white robes were practically glowing and spotless compared to their bedraggled forms. He stood silently at Luin's side as they finished burying Haldir. "We must go", he stated, breaking the silence.

"Theoden and the people do not part until the morrow", Aragorn frowned.

"Aye but there has been a attack on Isengard and we must pick up two of our friends", Gandalf smiled. "It's not good to let Merry and Pippin stray by themselves for too long. The chaos they could cause does not bare thinking about".

Luin laughed as he wiped his tears away. He was eager to see you hobbit friends. "Very well. We must make haste. It will do me good to see them". He bowed low to the grave,gaze lingering on it one final time before turning.

"Let's go a pick up some troublesome hobbits", Gimli declared as they began walking towards their horses. Luin's fingers twitched, palm turning outwards in a subtle invitation. Legolas smiled slightly at the gesture and took it. Their fingers linking together as they walked.

Unedited