Will You Remember Me

The seeds that are sown

Here on my own

Are giving me hope

Hope to burn again~

April Matson “Will You Remember Me”

“Not exactly a big fan of running.” Catlin managed to get that one sentence out before collapsing on the side of the track.

“I've noticed.” Morgan walked over to where her friend dramatically dropped on the ground and nudged her a little. “Come on. There's only one lap left.”

“Fine. Only if we get to walk it though.”

“Just get up already.” She took her time, slowly raising her self up to her feet. Finally Catlin nodded, somewhat ready to continue.

“We'll jog the rest out.” Morgan compromised.

“Whatever you say, Satan.” At the time, she regretted it. But later on, she wouldn't. Morgan was helping Catlin run a mile at least once a week. It was to help her get back in shape before the start of their senior year. The summer of 2013 was an unforgiving one and Catlin almost considered giving up in the beginning, not being a big of the heat either. The other reason for it was so she could have a better chance of surviving the US Marine's boot camp.

The two friends hardly talked about the future yet at the same time it was all that they talked about. They imagined going to the same college to study their desired professions, leaving for London to live at a flat together, and to work their dream jobs. Morgan's was a marine biologist. She would be off in the middle of the ocean somewhere, sending back payments for her rent in their flat. Catlin's was to either become a police officer or a FBI agent. Anything that involved the law. Move to the UK and become involved in the law system there. But she didn't really look up on the details. Neither of them did. Because what they imagined wouldn't become a true reality.

The reasons being why they never discussed the future in great detail was because they were worried of their true plans being completely different. Morgan still wanted to become a marine biologist but she'd be off to college and out in the ocean. Catlin wasn't a big fan of college and was all too willing to take her chances and just head off into the military and wish for the best afterwards. None of it looked it would land them in London together, living the dream.

But what exactly was their dream? It involved being with or at least seeing their imaginary friends. Morgan's Spaceman and Catlin's Doctor. What would happen if one of their dream's came true? Morgan would learn the truth about her kitty, her spaceman. Catlin would give up everything to run away with the Doctor. Unfortunately, only one of their dreams would become a reality. And it wasn't Catlin's.

Still, they would continue making up these grand plans, small parts of them believing it would happen.

They went through their senior year with almost no problems. The only thing that got in the way of making it a perfect year was the fact that they hadn't seen the kitty. There was no sightings, nothing that pointed to his existence. Yet Catlin still believed in her friend. Eventually Morgan let her read her stories, see her drawings, anything that had kept alive the Spaceman all these years.

Graduation day came way too quickly for either of them. Pretty soon, they would have to leave and go their separate ways. After the ceremony, the two found each other and all they could do was stand there in silence. “I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.” It wouldn't become evident to Morgan years later why Catlin was apologizing. By then, it wouldn't matter.

“There's still London.” Morgan said hopefully. It sounded like they were finally giving up on him ever showing up.

“Yeah. There's still London.” It came out in what was little more than a hushed whisper. “Call me.” It was obvious what she meant by that. To call her if she ever saw him again. It was a promise they made near the beginning of their senior year. She'd drop everything at that exact moment, didn't matter what she was doing for it'd be worth it.

That was it. They wouldn't see each other or talk to each other for the next seven years. Morgan went off to live her life alone, spending six of those years in college. She never lost her faith in the Spaceman. Catlin would go on to gather up the courage to join the Marines, spending four of those seven years in the military. Being only twenty-one and overwhelmingly confused on where to go next, she found herself almost going to London on her own but decided against it, instead going with becoming a detective in New York City despite hating the city.

Catlin was wrapping up a case, putting in all the necessary paperwork when her cell phone rang. Without giving it much thought or even bothering to look at the number, she answered, “Hello? Bit busy at the moment.”

“I saw him.” It was a voice she hadn't heard from in years. And it was one who brought back all the memories of the fantastic moments in her life.

“I'll be right there.”