Boats and Birds

But you can skyrocket away from me

And never come back if you find another galaxy

Far from here with more room to fly

Just leave me your stardust to remember you by~

Gregory and the Hawk “Boats and Birds”

“So this is where you first met him?” Catlin wandered over to where Loki had materialized in front of Morgan.

“Yep. In that exact same spot. He made a good kitty...then suddenly.” Morgan stopped. A wistful smile appeared on her face as she remembered that day. “It was like magic. He turned into this really tall...person. At the time I thought he was some magical Spaceman. But the more I think about it and the more I dream about it, he seems like so much more than that.”

“Something wonderful?” She made a slight gesture towards Morgan, smiling herself. “It's written all over your face.”

“But he really is. He was only there for a few moments then he just disappeared out of my life. Haven't heard from him since.”

“But you have seen him...” A pause. “When was the last time you saw him?”

“When I was ten. Only a glimpse.” The happiness faded from her face the more she spoke. There was less nostalgia in her face. Pretty soon, all that remained was resentment. “He was a cat then. He doesn't say anything, doesn't seem to acknowledge I was even there. It's not like he was checking up on me or anything. He was probably off bothering some other person. I bet he doesn't even remember me...”

Catlin didn't say a word. Just listened. Morgan, who appeared more and more upset, continued on.

“All these years later and I still remember. I did what he told me to. He's right here, in my mind, all the time. I can't...” After she trailed off did Catlin dare to say something.

It was at this point that most of the people who Morgan spoke to about this would say the exact opposite of what she needed to hear. Because she's heard it all already.

“You need help.”

“You're getting kind of obsessive.”

“He sounds like he's fake.”

That it was time to move on. Forget that he even existed. Or that he never existed.

But Catlin said none of the above.

“I understand.” And she really did. Maybe not in the same way as Morgan felt, but similar all the same. She never tried to interject with how she wished her Doctor was real or how her pain was worse because she knew that her's wasn't real. It was exactly what Morgan needed. Not someone to accuse her of lying or sounding crazy, just someone to listen.

There was a long silence. Not awkward silence. Just a lulling comfortable silence. “He always leaves you, doesn't he?”

It didn't really need an answer because Morgan knew it to be true. When she was growing up, all she ever saw out of the corner of her eye or from across the street was that same cat. Most times, she wasn't sure if it was really him or not. Or that she really saw anything. It drove her mad sometimes, but all it did was motivate her to write more stories, draw more pictures, imagine so much more.

“Want to go hang out?” Morgan offered. Their talk was over at the moment for they had all the time in the world to discuss it later.

“Sure. After you.”

They would grow to become fantastic friends. Regardless of whatever was going to happen in the near future, they'd remain the same.

In the meantime, Morgan took full advantage of the fact that Catlin was willing to listen almost always whether it be about her kitty or school or just about anything. She'd be reassured that it was no burden whatsoever after feeling like she was taking up too much of her time. That she never gave her the chance to talk about her own problems. But as always, Catlin would say that it was perfectly fine and there was nothing wrong with her or that there was nothing to talk about. That she was the 'King of Okay'.

“So do you think he'll come back?”

“I have no doubt in my mind about it.”