Dead in the Water

You've seen this all before

Life left on the shore

We're smiling all the same

You sail away again~

Ellie Goulding “Dead in the Water”

On the other side, there was Morgan's new eventual friend. The one who would never dare tell her to give up on her Spaceman. To Morgan, it would feel like a lifetime before she got to meet her. But her friend wouldn't be anything too special. Nobody of importance, one would say. Her childhood was relatively simple unlike Morgan's. No Norse Gods, no anything. Just a somewhat normal family, happily married parents, and two best friends in a small town in the middle of nowhere. But the next six years would prove to be challenging to both the ten year olds. Because regardless of what their situations were at those times, it took a toll on them. For Morgan, it was the agonizing wait and the eventual doubt of whether or not he would ever come back. For her future friend, it was the continuous separation of family and friends.

It was well worth the wait though.

Now both sixteen, they had suffered through their years and were being thrown back into high school for their junior year. It was Morgan's fifth day of school but for her new friend, it would be her first.

It was fifth period, English class. So far, it was turning out to be another dull day for the both of them. That's when she finally walked in, not seeing a familiar face she could sit beside. She quickly took the seat that wasn't occupied at the moment, being the empty seat behind Morgan. And it would've been easy to have just ignored her and to have her figure out that that particular seat was already taken by someone else. But instead Morgan turned around, took one glimpse at her shirt, and said, “I love your shirt...what's it supposed to mean though?”

Clearly not expecting anybody to talk to her, she bristled and glanced back down at her shirt to remind herself of what she was wearing. “Oh. It's the TARDIS, in space. With some...quote. The man in it is just some...Spaceman.” It appeared she was quickly scrabbling to come up with some answer that would make sense to Morgan, not knowing if she knew about the TARDIS or anything of that nature.

But the word Spaceman definitively caught her attention. “Spaceman?”

“Yeah he's...well his name is the Doctor. And this blue box is sort of his spaceship. The Spaceman is kind of someone I'm...waiting for. In a way.” She was rushing it all out in one breath, afraid she wasn't making any sense and would've appeared crazy to her. But all Morgan could do was think on the fact that this girl had her own Spaceman. And that was how they connected.

“Your name is...?”

“Catlin?” It was the teacher who answered for her. They were taking roll call and after eventual negotiating from Morgan, she was able to stay in her spot and have the other person that was supposed to be sitting there be moved.

“I'm waiting for someone too.” Morgan said after a moment of silence, looking at her expectantly.

“Really?” Catlin questioned, knowing that she couldn’t have been referring to the Doctor because it sounded like as if she was referring to someone else, a completely different person. “Who's that then?”

“A Spaceman. Sort of. He was a kitten at first. Then he changed into...a really shiny Spaceman.” Morgan laughed quietly, surprised she was even discussing him. In the past, it never worked out every time she mentioned her Kitty.

“Mine's from a TV show. ...I know for a fact he isn't real. None of it could be. Him and his TARDIS. But it's nice to imagine so. I'm sure yours is real though.”

And with those words, Morgan was absolutely sure this was the friend who would wait and believe with her.

Not just another person who thought her insane.