Failsafe

Clark had his doubts about the Failsafe Test Batman and Manhunter wanted to do with the team. Messing with the mind wasn't always the best idea. But, he trusted them. He made Batman promise to call him if they needed him, leaving with an uneasy feeling in his chest.

The only reason he didn't stay was Madine. He had the day off, and had worked up the courage to talk honestly with his daughter. Conner knew that, and when he bid goodbye, his son gave him a smile and a thumbs up, which made the angst feeling he had quell a little.

He got home to the amazing smell of lunch almost ready. Madine, apparently, was making pasta. He smiled.

"Want help?" He asked.

She smiled at him, but the smile didn't reach her eyes. And not for the first time, which only made Clark's heart squeeze in a painful way.

"I'm almost done. Is Conner okay?"

"Yeah. I left before they started, but he was fine. I made Bruce promise to call if he needed me."

She nodded and turned back to the oven, where she was mixing the sauce.

"I'll change and help you with the table, at least." He said. "Be right back."

She hummed and he went to his room, in a human pace, to give himself time to think through his words. He had said Madine he wanted to talk to her, before going with Conner to the Cave. While she didn't look nervous or even worried, he was a wreck. He had no idea how this would turn out, and he really wasn't liking the way his daughter was so... guarded with him. They always had the best of relationships, and not being able to see his daughter be free with him hurt him. He just hoped their conversation fixed that.

Back to the kitchen, he helped Madine set up the table and put the dishes she used to make dinner in the machine, cleaning up a bit. Soon, the pasta was done and served, and they sat in the kitchen counter to eat.

Just the two of them, like it used to be a little over three months ago. Clark sighed, noticing that Madine was eating quietly, without even looking at him. He steeled himself and decided to start things.

"So, honey, how was your day?"

She looked briefly at him, but answered anyway.

"It was nice, I guess."

Apparently she was not willing to use too many words today. Clark didn't let that deter him.

"What did you do?"

"I cleaned up my room, finished a history assignment, and I'll probably clean the rest of the house after lunch. Eunice and Loremae are wanting to go to the movies later, so there's that."

Clark hummed. No mention of their conversation, and Madine knew. He just had to talk, then.

"Well, sounds nice. But I need to talk to you before all that."

"Okay, no worries."

He sighed. He was tired of talking to her scalp, since she wouldn't look at him. He extended his right hand to hold her chin, making her look at him. She looked surprised with the gesture, but wasn't showing any other emotion that he could see.

"Honey... Why won't you look at me?"

"I am looking at you, dad." She said, but he could hear her heart increasing its beating, suddenly. She was trying to distract him.

"I don't mean just now. You haven't really looked at me while talking or talked freely with me in the last weeks. Why?"

He knew why. He just needed her to be honest.