Infiltrator

Okay, so maybe telling Madine about the beach day with his team was a little reckless. It was just motive for her to drag him to a shopping mall and make it a party out of it. Conner didn't mind Madine's enthusiasm about it, but after five hours, it ought to be tiring.

"Madine, I don't think I need all of these just for a beach day." He complained, after she shoved to him a few more bathing shorts.

"But... It's good to have a few spares."

"They won't rip me out of my shorts, Madine." He smiled for her. "And we're not going far. We're taking the beach behind the Mountain, so it's going to be only us."

She giggled.

"Perks of having a whole freaking mountain with private beach, I guess."

"Yes." He smiled. "So, can we stop?"

She made a face.

"I just wanted to help..."

"And you did." He assured. "Thank you. I just don't need anything else."

Conner saw that his sister was very upset that she didn't have any more reason to stay, so he decided for a second option.

"We can stop by the food court and grab something. And maybe a movie, after?" he said. "We don't have to go home now, do we?"

She perked up at the suggestion, and smiled.

"No. Dad's not going to be around anyway, and I really don't want to cook tonight..."

"All the more reason to go." Conner decided, putting the bathing shorts he had on his arms on the nearest rack. "Let's go. I'm starving."

She laughed and followed him out of the store, going straight into the food court with him right beside her.

~.~

Beach day was surprisingly fun. Conner never had actually went into one, so he didn't know much about what to expect. But they played in the sand - Conner was surprised to notice that he did like being 'buried' in the beach sand - and they also played a little volleyball; and of course, the sea water was warm and nice to go swimming into.

They spent a very nice day talking and getting to know each other in a way they didn't have the time for before. Well, except for Wally, because for some reason, his school started earlier that year and he couldn't just ditch his first day to go to the beach (although he had tried to reason with them to do just that).

Soon, though, when the sun was starting to fall in the horizon, Red Tornado came to the beach and called them back. He told them to go get showered and dressed, because one of the Leaguers was coming to talk to them about something important.

After they changed, they went straight into the main hall, finding Batman, Green Arrow, and a girl in a green suit with a bow waiting for them.

"Team..." started Green Arrow. "This is Artemis. My... new protégé."

Artemis did a little wave at them. Conner found it odd that her heartbeat was so fast, like she was so nervous, and at the same time, she held a position that told everyone in the room how confident she was. It didn't fit. But Conner figured she would try to hide her emotions. She seemed almost wary of them.

"She's going to be your new team mate." Said Batman.

"What about Red Arrow?" Robin asked to Green Arrow. "Does he know you have a new protégé?"

"I'm not sure." The green clad hero admitted. "I haven't talked to him in a while."

"Red Arrow didn't want to get into the Team," Batman reminded them. "But an archer is a good asset. And Artemis is a good one."