Homefront

When Conner got home, carried by his father – he was so tired that Clark took one look at him and decided it would be better to just fly them over to the apartment – Madine was sitting on the sofa, watching some comedy that wasn't really getting her full attention. As soon as they got into the living room through the window, she was up – and fussing over him, of course.

"Conner! Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just really tired."

"Didn't know you could get tired." She frowned.

"Neither did I, but I guess I can..." he shrugged.

"What are you doing up, Madine?" Clark asked, a lifted eyebrow showing his disapproval at her being awake at two in the morning with a school day the next day.

"I couldn't sleep! When you said you were going to pick Conner from his mission I got worried. So I figured it would be best to wait up."

"What about school tomorrow?"

"Oh come on, dad. Conner has school tomorrow, too; and besides, it's not like I need that much sleep anyway."

Clark frowned but let the subject go, urging both of them to their beds, since there would be school the next day, and both of them needed to go – even though Conner asked for a pass on that, he didn't get one, since it was only the beginning of the school year and he had a lot of new things to get accustomed to.

So, after the usual goodnight to his father and sister, he took a long and hot – and very needed shower – and fell on his bed, feeling like it was the best bed ever, and fell asleep right after his head hit the pillow.

~.~

The next day, he thanked whoever made kryptonians more durable on Earth for his fast recovery. Despite having barely four hours of sleep, Conner woke rested, and a lot better than he had been. He took a shirt from his closet and some clean jeans, dressed up and picked his school things, going to the kitchen where the smell of coffee was already getting into every pore in the room.

"Morning, bro." Madine said happily after seeing him.

"Morning, sis." He smiled.

"Sleep well?"

"Yeah. Thank god kryptonians don't need much sleep to recover."

She laughed. "Yeah, I like that part, too."

He helped her put the plates on the table and noticed that he couldn't hear their father at the apartment.

"Where's dad?"

"There was an emergency in Tunisia right before we woke up. He left a note in the fridge."

"Superman really doesn't take any breaks, huh?"

She shrugged, turning off the oven and putting the pancakes in a plate.

"He can't. He's the only one who can do what he does. There's a lot of heroes out there, but none with his power or stamina, you might say." She smiled. "It's a lot of work, but I suspect dad loves it. He loves helping people. It's why he became a hero in the first place."

Conner smiled back.

"Yeah, it suits him."

"It definitely does."

They started to eat, first in silence, and then Conner thought maybe it would be better tell his family he was dating with M'gann one by one. He was certain Madine would make a million questions and get all freaked out about it, and he really had no idea about his father's reaction, but he suspected he didn't want to tell them both at the same time.