Chapter 2: Surprise

Y/n felt a stare and glanced behind her. Neji had looked away and averted his eyes.

"Congratulations 12/15 passed. Come back tomorrow for you graduation ceremony. That's all for today." the teacher said.

Tenten made her way over to y/n.

"Yay! We both passed! I hope we're on the same team." Tenten squealed.

"I hope so." she gives a smile.

"What should we do for the rest of the day? To celebrate your birthday!" Tenten asked.

"Hmm... I want to visit the festival. I heard that it's only going to be in the village for 3 more days." y/n responded. Tenten nodded in agreement and handed her a box. Y/n's petite hand opened the box to find a kunai knife and a set of 3 shurikens. Tenten always loved weapons and loved sharing her love of weapons with y/n.

"Woah." y/n's eyes glowed as she looked at the sleek black weapons, thanking Tenten.
Should I invite Neji? He's the only one beside Tenten in my class who I really know. He always looks so lonely. Yeah I guess I'll invite him.

"Tenten you can go on without me. I'm going to invite Neji." Tenten nodded.

"Hey Neji! It's my birthday today and Tenten and I were going to the festival. I was wondering if you wanted to come." she asked fiddling with her fingers.

"Birthdays are nothing special. Everyone has them. And I have training to do so I'll decline your offer." Neji said not even glancing at her.

"Oh okay. Well we'll be at the festival if you want to stop by!" y/n gave a weak smile. No one would have notice the tears swelling up behind her eyes or the hurt in her heart. She just wanted one day. One day where all eyes would be on her. One day to be appreciated. She caught up with Tenten.

The day was filled with fun after that. Eating dango and takoyaki. Playing games and winning prizes. Jokes were made. Tenten helped put y/n's mind at ease. She was friendly and easy to open up too, but never pushed y/n out of her comfort zone. She respected her decisions and offered her full support.

"Oh. Hinata will be getting out of the Academy soon. I need to head over. She asked me if she could come over to my house. I'll see you tomorrow Tenten." They parted ways.

~Time Skip to the Academy~

Y/n stood waiting at the door of Hinata's classroom. Suddenly Shikamaru and Choji ran out of the classroom in a hurry. Blasting right past y/n.

"H-hi y/n. S-sorry to keep you waiting." Hinata said. She had gotten out a little later than usual, which wasn't like Hinata.

"All good." y/n said with a smile. They continued walking. Hinata congratulated her and they let out jokes.

"Oh. I-i need to pick up some soy sauce at the store." Hinata said, halfway from y/n's house. Y/n nodded and they stopped by the convenient store for some soy sauce. Hinata took her time as her eyes grazed through the many different choices. Her eyebrows were scrunched up as she scanned the rows of soy sauce. She picked one up and then put it down shaking her head. One thing that y/n and Hinata had in common was that they were both extremely indecisive. After what seemed about 10 mins. Hinata settled for a 'less sodium' soy sauce and grabbed 2 bottles.

(I'm really bad at showing journey's especially bc they walk everywhere in Naruto unless they have a carriage but we're not rich lol)

~Time Skip to Y/n's House~

Y/n opened the door. All the lights were off and the curtains were drawn. Y/n held up a kunai knife and slowly turned on the lights, making sure not to make a sound. She had just become a shinobi after all.

"SURPRISE!"

Suddenly, 5 faces were staring at y/n, with Hinata smiling behind her. Shikamaru, Choji, Sasuke, Tenten, and even Neji was there.

"We asked Hinata to stall while we set up. It was all Sasuke's idea. Neji even came to help out too." Choji exclaimed. Y/n began to tear up and soon rivers were flowing down her cheeks. She tried to wipe them with her arms, covering her face in embarrassment and sniffling with a smile. Get yourself together y/n. You're officially a fully fledged shinobi. You can't cry. She thought to herself.

Sasuke came to give his older cousin a hug.

"Happy Birthday." he said. They gave y/n a moment until Choji finally said, "When can we eat? The food is going to be cold." They all laughed and sat down at the small table.

Ramen sat down before them. The aroma filled their noses.

"ITADAKIMASU!" (Thanks for the food) They all put their hands together in a prayer form and started to dig in.

"This is really good." y/n said stuffing her mouth with the warm noodles.

"It's from Ichiraku. We all pitched in. It was a drag, but that's why Choji and I were running." Shikamaru explained. The room was lit and filled with happiness. There were balloons everywhere and a banner hanging over the entrance to the living room.

"Neji and I helped decorate!" Tenten said cheerfully.

"I expected you Tenten, but Neji?" y/n said surprised by the long haired boys compassion.

"Tch. Hiashi said that socializing would be good for me so I guess so." Neji said while pouting.

"Thank you!"

The rest of the day was filled with playing games, making jokes, and telling stories. Neji had kept losing at the card games and tried using Byakugan once but was tackled by Sasuke saying he couldn't cheat. The seven kids having fun was such a cute and innocent sight.

"Oh I almost forgot." Sasuke ran to his room and pulled out a messily wrapped rectangle. He handed it to y/n. She opened it. It was a picture of her and Sasuke. It was taken about 2 weeks ago when they ate ramen with Shikamaru and Choji. In the picture y/n was stealing a piece of meat from Sasuke. Sasuke looked angry. Teuchi had taken it for his ramen shop advertisement. The picture was in a frame.
Y/n threw her arms over Sasuke and buried her face in his shoulder.

After a long day, the others left and she fell asleep in her bed.