Echo

There’s something about the look in your eyes

Something I noticed when the light was just right

It reminded me twice that I was alive

And it reminded me that you’re so worth the fight

Incubus – Echo

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her eyes shined with an unnatural brightness that only made the sadness in her brown eyes more prevalent. Rolling the tissue paper into small points, Geviana moistened the tips, removing with precision the makeup that had gone astray during her brief burst of tears. For that strange first thirty seconds after she had burst out of the room, she saw no one, she heard no one. It was as if that world had stopped as she desperately searched for the bathroom.

Several women who had been in the bathroom fled immediately upon seeing the tear stricken Geviana. The bitchy look she had plastered on her face didn’t exactly help, either.

She allowed herself the luxury of a moment of tears before composing herself.

She loved Kyle Ridgel. There was a certain sense of comfort in seeing him after a long stressful day at work, and she knew he felt the same way. Back in those days, Christopher was still working in Japan, Alex hadn’t begun working at Ridgel Finances, and Kyle was left to run the entire conglomeration on his own.

With firm strokes, she removed the offensive lines of makeup from her face, recalling every short but sweet conversation they would have that used to send warm waves of comfort over her.

******************************************************************************************************

Flashback 

“How was your day?” Geviana asked, smiling at Kyle, as he entered their Park Avenue apartment, which was now her Park Avenue apartment.

“Exhausting.” Kyle sunk into the leather couch, his eyes drifting closed, the dark bags evident underneath his eyes. He then launched into a long tirade about the company and how hard it was to do everything on his own without the help of his brother. With open ears, Geviana would always listen, taking in everything he had to say. He just never realized it.

Taking a deep breath after his long speech, Kyle would turn to Geviana, his eyes wide and twinkling, and with a hopeful look, he would always ask, “And you? How was your day?”

Geviana shrugged carelessly. Sure, work at the moment was kind of annoying, with Alyssa always screeching in her ear, and the constant pressure of being the best, but…there really wasn’t anything to talk about.

“It was alright,” she said shortly, standing up to head for the kitchen as the microwave heating up their Chinese food went off. When she returned with the food, that hopefully twinkling look in his eyes was gone, only to be replaced with that familiar exhaustion that he always seemed to be feeling.

“Nothing? Nothing happened at all? Come on, give me a run for my money here. I know you had a tiring day, too.” That was always Kyle, trying to seek and get information from her. Geviana giggled and ruffled Kyle’s hair affectionately, eliciting a soft smile from him, as they ate their Chinese food.

“Yeah, but nowhere near as bad as yours. I can think of one thing we can do that won’t cause me or you any stress, though,” Geviana whispered suggestively, as Kyle watched her, transfixed. Only Geviana could look seductive with noodles hanging out from her mouth. Kyle grinned in reply, looking forward to the rest of their night.