Chapter Thirteen

Dani's POV~

       My head is throbbing and I feel dizzy. What happened to Angel? Why is she cut? What did this? I crumple down to the ground crying. I can't handle this. Why did Kira hurt my horse? Why didn't she just take care of her? Dad comes over to me and tries to comfort me, but nothing can comfort me but knowing that Angel will be okay. I rush to the tack room and grab vet wrap and cut cleaner, and get to work on Angel's leg. I have Dad hold her leg, but she steps away when he tries to touch her, so I do it instead. Within minutes, Angel's leg is cleaned and wrapped. She leans into me to tell me she's okay, and she turns her head and presses her nose into my stomach.

        I'm furious with Kira. My horse, the one I trust most, my prized possession, thrown away by Kira. How could someone do such a thing? Ugh. I'm exhausted, weak, and I have a splitting headache. Dad and Ethan went on a ride, so I lie down next to Angel and fall asleep.

~
        When I wake up, I'm leaning against the stall wall, Angel's head in my lap. I stroke her face softly, letting her know I'm here. We sit here silently, no words being spoken.

        Who knew the strongest bond could be created by silence?

        I've only spoken one thing to her. I love you. I really mean it too. I've never had a bond like this with a horse before. Even Calypso was stubborn at the worst times possible. But Angel, she reminds me of myself.

        She was lost when I met her, just as i was. I was scared, but she showed me that she could be trusted. So I did. Now she's my guardian angel.

        And I let her get hurt.

        I start to cry again, silently, tears falling down my face and onto Angel's mane. I mentally beat myself up. If I didn't trust Kira, this wouldn't have happened. 

        I sign deeply and lean down to hug Angel's head. It's almost noon, and I consider going to make myself a sandwhich, but I decide not to leave Angel. She needs me. No less than ten minutes later, Mom pulls open the barn door and looks into Angel's stall.

        "There you are," she says, handing me a plate. "I couldn't find you. Eat." I eat the peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the plate, and feed Angel the apple slices that were still on the plate.

        After Mom leaves with the plate, I lay there stroking Angel's neck. I lean down to her and whisper

        It will be okay.