~Promise Me Something~ Chapter 11

Today is the day...I can't believe it...

"JESSICA" A voice squealed behind me, the obvious culprit being Faith.

"FAITH" I squealed, running to her, ready for a really tight hug.

"Oh Faith I can't believe we actually got through thirteen years of schooling. Six of it being high school!"

"Girl I agree. You survived in one piece, I feel like high school killed my soul"

I laughed at how dramatic she was being right now. I definitely am still in one piece physically...but not mentally. Mentally, my soul has been crushed by seven hours of crappy schooling, all the pointless homework's given, the assignments which taught me nothing but stress and the studying I did, was literally me dying.

So glad those days are over.

The atmosphere in this hall was absolutely buzzing! There were a crowds standing around everywhere, parents interacting with other parents, year 12 students were being congratulated by teachers, and a bunch of teenagers these days snapping photos here and there.

"Faith" I nudged, "We need a selfie".

And that is how we spent the next ten minutes, trying every filter on Snapchat possible with funny faces, and amazing memories to go with it.

I felt a hand go on my shoulder, and temptation couldn't resist. I turned around to see my mother and Kat here.

"HEY GUYS!" I pulled them in for a tight hug. I couldn't believe my mum actually made it today.

"Did you think I would miss my daughter's graduation? I think not" Mum answered before I did.

Faith gave a polite hello before heading off to who I assumed was Dylan. She knew I hardly got to spend time with mum, so especially at an event like this was really a perfect opportunity to do just that.

"I can't believe this is the end of it mum. I think I'm going to miss it" I smiled, already feeling slightly nostalgic at what I'll be leaving behind. As much as I won't miss all the shit I went through, I will miss feeling that sense of belonging I had in this jail.

"I think they're starting the ceremony. Goodluck darling, I love you!" Mum said hugging me, before motioning Kat to walk over.

"Jessica. I'm so proud of you. I love you" Kat pulled me into a hug before waving me off brightly. At times like this, I was really proud of my small, but caring family. We may be an odd bunch, but we are definitely a good type of odd.

The school hall had rows of seats prepped for parents and guests, while across them was again, rows of chairs, with every year 12's name on it, running in alphabetical order. In between the first row of seats, there was a large stage with a podium in the middle of it; the stage also containing a table with wrapped presents neatly on it. Balloons crowded the entrance, with a huge 'CONGRATULATIONS CLASS OF 2015' banner hung up around the hall's walls. In the corner of the hall, there was a large table with small goodies like biscuits and small sandwiches, coffee, and different types of tea. I was too busy admiring the hall properly, that I didn't realise someone sneak up behind me.

"Wow, wow, wow. Looks like she pulled through" a voice said sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes and turned around. It was Allie, Kaitlin AND Mason.

This is the last day I'm going to see at the least Allie and Kaitlin. Sadly, I still need to put up with Mason's shit until I can convince mum to stop taking me over for those fancy dinners I was tempted to walk away from, but I felt what I had in mind was so much more satisfactory than just ignoring them.

"I pulled through? I can't believe you pulled through! Did you even once study? All you ever spent your time doing was chasing after boys and what? Being unsuccessful. If you spent half as much time studying, as you did opening your legs, maybe, just maybe you would have become a somebody". I scoffed.

"See that banner over there?" I pointed to the huge 'CONGRATULATIONS CLASS OF 2015' banner. "I think a special shoutout goes out to you two" then pointed at Allie and Kaitlin. I folded my arms and smirked before walking away victoriously, even leaving Mason shocked.

It felt so good to say that after years!

"Can year 12 students please make their way over to the designated seats", "year 12 please".

Eventually, students said goodbye to their families before heading off to their designated seats. I saw Dylan walking in the same direction as me. Because my last name was M, my seat was located in the upper half of the hall, meanwhile the rest (N-Z) is located on the lower half of the hall.

"Jess" Dylan came running up to me before putting an arm over me.

"Hey" I smiled.

"Are you excited to finally go off into the real world?"

I sighed with content. "For sure. I've never been so excited before".

"Good on you Jess. I always admired your resilience and I do hope things work out for you in the future". He said genuinely.

"Thanks Dylan, your kind words goes a long way".

I had a question in my mind, but I was a little fearful at what the answer might be. As Dylan was pulling away, I stopped him before asking what his future would be with Faith, post-graduation.

Dylan laughed at my thought "Oh Jessica. I can see why Faith loves you" he shook his head before walking away.

Huh? What's that supposed to mean?

Not dwelling on it too much, we all found our seats before Principal Oakley took to the stage, ready to present.

I clapped my hands quietly together. Let graduation begin!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys :D so there will be another graduation chapter after this. Post-graduation is where things really start unravelling, so stay tuned!