~Promise Me Something~ Chapter 2

"You. You are a worthless little bitch. He's gone and I blame you for it. You, you, you. You ruined my life and I hate you more than I could fathom. I'll make sure you never have anyone special in your life. It'll take you months, if not years to trust someone; I'll make sure to crush that loyalty developed in mere days. You can never escape me, as I will make you suffer. Suffer to hell."

I bolted up in my bed, sweat running down my face as I tried to keep my pounding heart under control. This nightmare is one I have often. Stuck in a pitch-black room, only hearing the cruel voice and evil laughter coming from a guy with a hoarse and gruff voice. It felt like someone was putting on a CD player that kept repeating itself, only stopping when I wake. Wiping the sweat off my face, I checked the time

7:20.

I still had about ten minutes to sleep, but what was the point? I might as well get up. Ducking into the shower, I shampooed my hair and scrubbed my body quickly, making all the hard decisions in the shower. I still had no idea what I wanted to study at university, although, I was leaning towards communications or perhaps business- I really couldn't make my mind up.

I buttoned up my white blouse before slipping on my dark blue and striped black and white skirt on. Tying my hair in a bun, I double checked myself hoping I didn't look sleep deprived and made my way over to my sister's door, only to receive no response. Eh, she's probably making the most of her extra few minutes in bed; like the smart girl she is. Emptying cornflakes into my plate and adding milk, I sat down dreading to go to school. School was fine until Mason one day decided he hated me. I'm not even sure why he hates me, considering I've hardly spoken to him. All in all, school was great before his attitude took a complete 360 and from there, things have never been the same. Another day in prison l. My conscience agreed with me.

"Mum?" I raised my voice, wondering where she may be. Looking around, I noticed a note on the benchtop table.

Jess,

Got called into work early. No idea why though, the boss said he wants to speak to me. I may be home late I really can't tell yet. I already dropped Kat off to school as she had music rehearsals so don't fret. I arranged a call with Mrs Turner and she's happy to drop Kat home too.

Have a lovely day Hun

LOL

Mum x

I rolled my eyes. Mum had no idea that LOL is predominately used as laugh out loud. She just assumed it is lots of love, which is quite understandable too. She worked two jobs to provide for us, on weekends she worked as a waitress in our local shopping centre at a coffee shop. On weekdays, however, she was crazy busy working in a hospital as a nurse in training. This was a big moment for her; she had been on a trial period for about two months and even though she was the recruitment agency's second choice, they couldn't trust her yet. Hopefully, her role would be concreted soon. I rarely see her, but with a job like that, I didn't think I'd see her for days in a row since she left way too early and came home after I was asleep.

Sadly, I was a girl who still has to catch public transport to and from school. I didn't get the luxury of driving yet as I didn't have a car to do so. Waiting for the bus, I heard a revving getting louder and louder until it whooshed past me with full force, causing my skirt to fly up slightly. Gasping, it was really awkward because it was then I saw the bus had parked at the bay waiting for me. Showing my bus pass quickly, I passed murmuring students and snickering peers looking at me- probably from the flash show I gave them. Bus drivers do not tolerate students who do not have a bus pass; they get impatient very quickly and believe kids are 'insolent fools' for not appreciating the transport service provided. Thankfully, the bus trip had been uneventful, as students quickly got over the little scene that had occurred earlier.