~Promise Me Something~ Chapter 5

I stood there with my hands intertwined with each other looking down at the ground. It felt really awkward but I had to stare at the room which screamed chic and high-class, making me feel really out of line. The table was covered in a black and white table cloth, where the serviettes had intricate black and white designs on them too. On the serviettes were two forks on the left, one smaller than the other and a spoon and knife on the right side of the plate. Speaking of, the plates had a thin black rim around the edges and curved up from left to right, while the bottom of the plate curved down. The table didn't have glasses I'd normally expect on the table...they were wine glasses, and it wasn't hard to tell this family was fond of alcoholic beverages, since there is a huge open buffet with all different types of wines neatly ordered. The candles placed in the huge candelabra in the middle of the table lit up, which really accentuated the beauty of the black and white theme. The room also managed to fit an egg chair that looked like an open bird cage, with a black and white stripy pillow on it. Next to it was a small stand with even more candles and a bunch of white flowers sitting on top. Even the floor screamed sophistication as the fluffy white composite shaped carpet was one you can literally sink your feet into. the flowers I assume smelt amazing; a wafting smell lingered in the room and freshened it up.

Every item in this room complimented and accentuated each other. The design and styling was totally unreal. I was in much awe that I actually forgot I had a couple of eyes scrutinising my movement and actions! Oops!

Clearing my throat I gave the Stone family the best smile I can offer and stood there feeling dumb and unwelcomed. Especially by Mason.

"Hello there Jessica dear. Come take a seat" Mr Stone said gesturing his hand to the seat left of him, which happened to be across Mason. Mr Stone was quite a good looking man, with curly dirty blonde hair, bordering brown that is tousled and is to the side. He has a light stubble and dimples when he smiles. His eyes, dark brown look genuine and kind. Kinder than Mason at least.

"It's so lovely for you to join us. This is my wife Karen" I looked over to Mrs Stone. She was beautiful. She had long straight blonde hair that just touched her shoulders, with her long fringe hidden behind her ear. She had plump, red lips and her cheeks too had a natural rosiness to it, but was a bit hard to tell due to the make up she had on her. Although, her blue eyes were radiant, they were beadily staring me up and down, burning with intensity. Finally having the balls to look at her, I realised she was staring me straight in the eye, not blinking once. Her lips thinned out into straight line, she looked unhappy and definitely didn't seem very forthcoming. At all.

"Uh, thank you for-"

"You're late Miss Moore" Karen but in before continuing "Please don't be late again. We take family dinners far too seriously and that doesn't change regardless of our circumstances"

I scratched my neck "I'm really sorry Mrs Stone. It won't happen again"

"It better not darling" She forced out. Great. Now she hates me.

Just as Mr Stone was about to open his mouth Ana walked in with bowls of soup in her hand. It was an orangey shape and looked quite watery with something red floating in the middle. I had no idea what it was but I would still eat it, for the sake of this family. Looking around my eyes landed on Mason. He stared at me blankly, with a scowl on his face making me squirm in my seat uncomfortably. Once he caught on just how much he affected me, he smirked victoriously.

What fork do I even use first? I mean, is there a need for two forks?

"So Jessica" Mr Stone's conversation cut off my eye contact "I hope you enjoy lobster bisque"

Bisque? What even was that? Like crushed biscuit thrown in soup? I don't know

"Uh, yeah. I do Sir"

"Oh dad honestly. Do you really think she even knows what a bisque is?" He looks at me intently "Do you?"

I shook my head no in embarrassment where Karen and Mason started laughing quite loudly. I was on the verge of tears. They had no idea how much my mum worked just to put a bowl of soup in front of us. Even if lentils and potatoes was occasionally on the menu, she still provided for us.

"That's enough" Mr Stone cut in sternly "We are at dinner and it's necessary to show manners" He warned the both of them

"So Jessica! What was I saying...Oh yes! You graduate in a month! Do you know what you want to do next year?"

"Well! I want to go to university. Either going into the medical field or sticking to social sciences with a business degree. I might even take up a double degree and do both. I honestly cannot decide" I smiled

"Wow. Impressive. I'm glad to hear you've got your life on track sweetie" He said looking at Mason

"What? Just because smarty-pants has an idea of her future doesn't mean I don't. I mean, I don't sit at my desk all day thinking about boring shit, deciding what word will fit best in an essay or writing up study notes two weeks in advance. Besides, I have friends who want to hang out with me. Unlike others" He shot at me.

It got quiet after that. Mr Stone gave Mason a disappointed look and shot him a glare when he thought I wasn't looking. Sighing, I looked down at my 'bisque' not knowing how to eat it. Do I eat the floating thing first? Or drink the soup first? Or both at once? Soon enough, main rolled around with lamb shanks, potatoes and some vegetables. It was a very homely meal, simple but homely. Something I wasn't used to but would love to cherish.

"So Jessica. Your mum... What does she do? Why didn't she join us today?" Karen questioned cutting into her potato.

"Uhm, she went to help my neighbour who is an elderly lady and is having some health difficulties. She's driving her to see her doctor and will be on site with her this weekend, just in case Mrs Pearson's was experiencing any chest burns or problems, so my mum can immediately help"

"So...she's a doctor?"

"No. Nurse"

"Must be a tough job" She questioned raising her eyebrow "I mean, she must be so busy always being on shift, even on weekends. Without being paid to do the job. Poor you must not see her often"

I smiled sadly "not really. I don't see her much. Her hours clash with mine, but I'm used to it. We (Kat and I) both are"

"Being a mother requires allot of love and attention to your child. With your mums job...I don't really see it happening. Maybe she should spend more time with you. I mean, it's a good change...you know" She said rhetorically, analysing me up and down. I knew she was referring to the clothing advice I needed, since the stuff I wear is from an op-shop.

"With all due respect Mrs Stone but my mother works really hard for us. She does it because she loves us and wants the best for us. Best education, best opportunities and the best family life"

"Best education? Pfft...Please Moore we know you got in because of the scholarship. Paloma Wills kept telling Tanya Azarati about how you stole her scholarship that she rightly deserved. Everyone knows you didn't pay for the school fees, or else, you'd never even step foot in this school. Admit it" Mason announced leaning back on his chair and folding his arms

I pushed aside my plate, my voice quivering "I'd like to be excused. Thankyou for-r-r a great-tt dinner Mr and Mr...I mean Mrs, oh god sorry. Mrs Stone. Mason" I stuttered before bowing my head slightly and running out of the dining room. My heart felt constricted and the walls were caving on me.

Getting to my room I closed the door, having the urge to slam it and cried till my heart was content. I screamed into my pillow until my lungs felt like it was on fire. Suddenly I started sobbing. Tears came down uncontrollably.

I hated here. With a burning passion. How can someone be so cruel?

How?

How?

How?

With that I cried myself to sleep.