Chapter 7 - Drifting Apart

We were everything I've dreamed of

We were everything I've dreamed of. He understood me, I trusted him, he

made me laugh, I made him happy- it was everything you want between twopeople. Love, lust, understanding, communication, well partly.I remember the day we met, a friend set us up on a blind date and bothof us walked sulkily to the date because we were still fresh with a breakup andwere not wanting to move on, even though it had been a year. Yet there wewere in a fancy Chinese restaurant with my short hair falling on my bareshoulders and his shirt folded up to his bicep, showing of his strong arms. Weboth were heartbroken, but we did want to show off ourselves- maybe hintthem at what are they missing on. I laughed timidly at his very hilarious jokes,he smiled at my annoying habits like ordering deserts as my entrée. At the endof the date we shook hands, and he pecked at my cheeks, indicating that thedate went well and involuntarily my cheeks burned red. My heart wantedmore but then he turned and walked away, like the wind. Not looking backagain. I hunted him down through the friend and asked him out again. He wassurprised to see me, and I wouldn't usually do this, but he was something else.I wanted to see him, feel the spark again when he held my hand, feelimportant when he listened to my charity work, connect with me when I geekabout astronomy, laugh with me as we judge people jokingly in the restaurant.I wanted to be with him, and luckily I did get to be with him. He was with mefor about 16 months and those were the best days of my life. And no besttimes doesn't always mean smiling 24/7, calling each other cute names ortexting when we are a second apart. Best times means I loved my life. I smiledmore at little things, found joy at things that did not make me even smirkbefore, I found colour in black and white and yes that's sound crazy and kind ofdelusional, but that's what love sounds like. Everything that is impossible,seemed possible. We thought we can handle every obstruction that comes ourway because we were powerful. But little did we know, love was a little morecomplicated than that.Every good things come to an end, and it is always for the most stupidreason. I had to leave, thousands of miles away from him. My career took apeek and I got job at the publishing company all the way in Chicago, whichmeant leaving my life behind in India, leaving him behind. It was a hard time,because I loved everything in my life in that moment. If this was two yearsback, I would have left without any hesitation, but I needed to think about this a hundred times right now. I was mad, angry and frustrated of why my life hadto get complicated. I did not want to choose between my career and the loveof my life! But then, like I mentioned earlier- he was the best thing in my lifeand he was the most amazing person to handle this situation. Surprisingly, hedid not break up with me, instead he leaned in close to my ears while his handgripped tight around my waist and whispered, "We got this. Nothing can comebetween you and I, you know that right?" He kissed me and smiled his besteven though I knew he was scared, just like I was. I could read him like the backof my hand now and the thought of leaving him broke my heart even more.But we did it. We tried working out long distance and that's when I realisedthere really is the term called "Perfect person, wrong timing." We did try tomake it work, but it just doesn't happen that way. When I came home after along hard day, he wasn't there to snuggle up with me and watch a comedymovie, when I was feeling on top of the world and I want to tell him about it, Ihad to think twice reminding myself of the time difference, when I wanted tosit and do nothing the whole day, I couldn't because doing that alone is boring.And I most definitely cannot totally speak from his side, but I am sure he feltthe same way. When being together almost every day for two whole years,going into a long distance with no definite end is just miserable for both ofthem. We cannot have everything we want in life, we cannot have two good inlife and honestly if you do- tell me how is it to be god's favorite?We broke it off seven months of us staying apart and what hurt me moreis not that we broke off, but because I thought we were strong enough to workit through. 'Nothing can come between you and I' seemed like a joke. We didnot go wrong anywhere, we just unconsciously went far. Maybe ever lovedon't stay, even when we are fixated on it. We went wrong because we lackedlong distance communication. We didn't patch up after every small fight,because I couldn't go to him with a box of chocolates to make it up, or hecouldn't come to me with his hoodie and chocolate mint ice cream when hemessed up, we just went to sleep. Angry, disappointed, sad. Maybe if we had abetter communication, we would probably still be strong, but we will neverknow. But for sure whenever I go for a movie, I'll sneak in snacks like we did, Iwill part my hair on the side-the way he liked it, I will bring in energy drink as acelebratory drink (because according to him its better than champagne) but Iwill also always smile when I see two people holding hands in front of mewhen I see them in love, get a little upset when I see his picture pop up on myinstagram feed, reminisce about our past when I think about him. I will always think about him. Maybe he won't, he can't or he doesn't want to- but he wasthe best thing in my life. And even though we said 'we'll still stay friends', weboth know how that's going to work out.