Chapter 5

I glanced at America and then back at our guests, not sure if we heard correctly.

"That's right," August said as if reading my thoughts, "I'm an Illéa, and by birth too." He motioned toward the woman. "This one will be through marriage soon."

"Georgia Whitacker," she said smiling. I guarded my emotions.

"So father was right. There are still descendants of Gregory Illéa walking around. He said you'd come for the crown one day."

"I don't want your crown," said August. I continued on, not listening.

"I intend to lead this country and if you think for second that I'm just going to back down because you claim to be Gregory's g-"

"I don't want your crown, Maxon!" he said. I glared at him for being so casual about this. "We have other goals to worry about rather than destroying the monarchy." He reclined in his seat which made my jaw twitch in irritation. There was a heavy silence.

"Would you like some tea or coffee?" I asked, trying to break the ice. Now that I was sure enough that they weren't here for those reasons, there was no need for me to be harsh.

"Coffee?" said Georgia, her face lighting up. I smiled and gestured toward one of the guards in the corner of the room.

"Could you have a maid send for some coffee and sugar? Thank you." Once we were out of earshot again, I focused my attention on August.

"I'm not sure what you want from me. I noticed that you purposefully came here when most of the palace was asleep and have asked for a private conversation. You may speak freely, but I cannot promise you that I can give you what you ask for."

August leaned forward on his elbows. "We have been searching for the diaries for decades. We knew that existed, but only recently got confirmation from an anonymous source." America tensed up and straightened her back. August noticed. "It wasn't your speech at the Report, don't worry," he assured her.
"Our intentions were never to take down the monarchy, but rather change or adjust it. Even though it came from corruption, we have no qualms about having a sovereign leader, especially if that leader is you, your Highness. What we want are smaller more specific freedoms such as nominated officials that can speak on our behalf and removing the castes." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"You're acting like I'm already king," I said, frustrated. "Even if it were all possible, I can't simply give you what you're asking for, you must know that."

"But you're open to the idea?" August pushed.

"Does it matter? I'm not the king." August and Georgia shared a glance. "Speaking of, why don't you introduce officially yourself to America."

"It would be my pleasure. As you already know, Gregory had three children and you read about their stories in the diaries. There shouldn't be any more Illéas left, but here we are." A maid came with the coffee and the table fell silent, waiting for her to leave.

"Spencer didn't die," August continued. "He hated what his father had done, so he ran. He hid with friends, making camp with them in the north. It's cold and wet making it hard to navigate up there, so nobody tries. That's why we stay up there most of the time." Georgia's jaw fell and she nudged him. "I suppose I've just revealed where to find us. I'd like to point out that we have never killed nor intentionally harmed anyone in the palace. All we wanted was to put an end to the castes, but we needed proof that he was the the corrupt man we knew him to be."

I sighed, rubbing my temple. "I honestly don't know what you want me to do with this information. You are a direct descendant of Gregory, but you don't want the crown. You have requested an audience with me and a member of the Elite, asking for things that neither of us can provide. My father isn't even at the palace."