Chapter 20

America had told me her plan to invite Princess Nicoletta and Georgia to the event today and discuss talk of distributing weapons to the northern rebels to help them out. We already went over how much of a risk it could be to involve the Italians like this, especially considering there was nothing stopping the Princess from declining and revealing our plan to my father. Nonetheless, I trusted America even though last time she told me to trust her she was shot. Hearing the plan in my head all day, providing weapons to rebels that had already broken into the palace and stolen and destroyed property, sounded absolutely ludicrous. But I was desperate. If this all worked out, then once it was behind us I could tell my father. He would be shocked at first but I think once he realized my efforts had helped secure the nation, he would be proud of me.

I was headed to his office now, trying to keep myself from wringing my hands which he would heavily disapprove of.

"Father, you wanted to see me," I said knocking.

"Yes, son. Come in." I walked up to his desk and took a seat in front of him. "Sometime today, you should start handing out he gifts to each of the ladies."

I stared at him with a blank expression. "For the Convicting," he phrased as a question. Crap. "You did remember that it is tomorrow didn't you? I wouldn't put it past you to forget," he scoffed.

"Of course I remembered," I said calmly. "I was just surprised all the gifts were ready, that's all."

"Don't lie to me Maxon," he said with a thin, icy tone.

"Of course not, Father. I'll be stopping by their rooms this evening." He didn't respond or even look my way so I bowed and left the room and head to the jewelers. Everyone's jewels were ready and I had planned to see Celeste first before changing my mind and going to America. I just couldn't stop myself. I had a maid pushing a trolley with the other boxes and cases behind me as I stood before America's door.

"Please excuse me a few moments while I hand this to the Elite," I said to her. She nodded and took a few paces back. I knocked on the door once and Lucy came to open it.

"Good evening, your Majesty," she said with a deep curtsy.

"Hello, Lucy. Would you mind notifying America that I need to speak with her please?" She looked back up at my face with shock before closing the door slightly and going to get America.

"Come in!" she called as Lucy exited the room. I walked in and smiled at her before we both perched on the edge of her bed.

"Sorry to interrupt your evening, but I wanted to speak with you."

"It's no problem. What's going on?" she asked with furrowed brows.

"I wanted to see you first before others had a chance to come bragging," I said, reaching into my coat pocket. I pulled out the box and handed it to her. She looked confused until she opened the lid and inhaled sharply.

"Maxon...what? I- these are beautiful. I can't possibly accept them. They're just too.."

"Oh but you must accept them," I said holding her hands. She looked up from her lap where the earrings are bracelet rested.

"I'll explain, but first...do you like them?"

"I love them. I've never seen such adorning jewelry."

"I picked the colours out for you. I thought you liked blue and I didn't want to get you a necklace seeing that you're so fond of the songbird one from your father that you always wear." She instinctively reached up to touch it with a soft smile on her face. The truth was, I did pick blue because she liked it, but the gems were blue and green and woven together with silver in a simple but elegant design. I wanted it to be for us. The green to match the warm glow of her eyes and the blue to match the blueish hue that poked out right outside her irises, faintly. You had to look very hard to see it. I didn't tell her that part though.