Chapter 12

"He's resting now," said my mother with a sigh. "I haven't seen him like this in a long time." She had a frown on her face from the moment I dragged him to his room. I stood from the desk and walked up to her to rub my thumb across her forehead. She gave me a quizzical look.

"You'll get lines if you frown too much, mother. I prefer your smile." She let out a breathy laugh and gave me a weak smile. "How are you?" I asked.

"We're trying to prepare for what might come with the French and I might have to organize a luncheon with the French Queen soon--"

"I didn't ask about your jobs. How are you, mother. You've seemed down lately." She sighed and sat down on the edge of her bed. Even in darker times, she managed to radiate elegance. Most little princes would say that they looked up to and wanted to be their fathers, strong kings like they were but I was the opposite. While I admired my father for his ability to look put together even when everything was going downhill or his wit, I idolized my mother. She was everything I wanted to be.

"I'm not sure, Maxon. I hate when he gets like this, so distant from me. Lately, most nights he doesn't even come to bed. He's always in front of that desk, day and night. If he's not there then he's halfway across the world. I miss him." She looked sadder than I'd ever seen her.

"You and me both," I mumbled.

"The selection is proving to be more of a task getting through as well," she said. I cocked my head to the side in confusion.

"How do you mean?"

"You and I are in similar positions actually. You're trying to find a wife and that lucky woman is going to be my daughter. Sometimes it's hard to allow myself to get close to all of them while knowing they'll eventually have to leave." She didn't seem sad when she said that, but held an unfocused gaze.

"You're telling me," I said with a dry laugh.

"You're not that sly, you know," she said giving me a side glance. I raised an eyebrow. "I've noticed that little exchange you share with Lady America." My eyes went wide for a second as I cleared my throat.

"Mum, can I ask you something?" She nodded.

"What do you think of her?" I kept the question as vague as possible, allowing her to interpret it how she wanted. She pondered for a moment before responding.

"I think she's got a strong head and a strong heart. She's not like many women I've seen...a fiery spirit with a calm presence. She tends to think with her heart rather than her head sometimes which gets her into shady areas, but I appreciate that about her. Why do you ask?"

"I love her," I blurted out. I gasped and covered my mouth with my hand as soon as I said it. My mother merely chuckled at me.

"I know," she said.

"I want to marry her."

"Then why don't you?"

"I'm too afraid," I said sitting down next to her. "What if she doesn't love me back? What if she's still in love with someone else? How am I supposed to give my everything to her if I can't be sure?"

"So many questions," she said. She touched my nose with her finger, an action she used to do when I was little. "I don't have the answers to all those, Maxon. Love is a unique thing and it works in mysterious ways. You don't have to rush anything, but be wary of your heart. It's possible to love two people at the same time, maybe for different reasons. Some are old flames while some are small sparks, waiting to catch. While those may be your reasons for doubting her, they apply to you as well. Don't let yourself get too caught up that you lose sight of the opportunity in front of you."

I sighed. She wouldn't be my mother without her riddled advice. She noticed my helpless look and laughed.

"Just try to tune your head with your heart and be easy on yourself, love," she said rubbing my shoulder.

"Amberly," groaned my father from the top of the bed.

"You best get going. You need to wrap up the conference," she said ushering me out. Just before she closed the door she brought me near to whisper "I think she'd make a wonderful daughter." She shut the door, leaving me with her words. It made my heart melt that she said 'daughter' and not 'queen' or 'wife'. She wasn't trying to pressure me, but instead was letting me know that America would have a place in our family. I smiled and walked back to the conference.
------
The next day, America pulled me -- literally yanked my body -- into a hallway as I was walking by.

"Wha-"

"Shh," she said pressed her fingers to my lips. She grabbed my arm and pulled me into the Great Room which was now empty. "Remember when I told you that I would come up with a plan for us to meet up with August?" I nodded apprehensively.

"Well I've got one." I blinked slowly. She told me her plan, to sneak us out of the palace the following night dressed as workers and meet August at a discreet location. When she had finished explaining I placed my open palm onto her forehead.

"What are you doing?"

"Are you quite well?" I asked sincerely. She shrugged my hand off and chuckled.

"It's a good plan!"

"It's the riskiest thing I've ever heard."

"Yes, but it might work." I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. We stayed silent for a few minutes and she began bopping on her toes in anticipation.

"I'll meet you in your room tomorrow," I said finally before departing. I heard her whisper yell a 'Yes!' as I left. I laughed. This woman was going to be the death of me.