NINE

ARKHAM ASYLUM
NOVEMBER 7TH
15:27 p.m.

Her glare was something Daniel had gotten accustomed to. Whether it was aimed at her failed potion attempts or Daniel himself, he had seen her at her angriest.

At least, that's what he thought.

Her silence was scolding. It hurt Daniel to simply sit across from her. The coolness of the metal chair did nothing to provide any sense of relief.

"So," she finally speaks after two minutes of silence. "You failed me."

Her blue eyes, brighter compared to the last visit, study the anxious boy before her.

"I—"

"Shut up!" she exclaims, slapping the table angrily. Other visitors and inmates silence themselves to look at who caused the commotion, but she doesn't care. "You failed me, Danny. I asked for one thing: find out a name, a hint of anything. All you did was tell me how they know each other."

"He stays at her place on the weekdays. I could just—"

"What?" Jade interrupts harshly, her words practically scorching Daniel, "you could just walk in at the right moment? Don't be an idiot Daniel."

"I...I—" Daniel tries to defend himself. The clear look of panic on his face doesn't amuse Jade like it used to. "I'm sorry, Path—Jade."

Jade sighs, her face morphing from a look of anger to one a mother might dawn when she's forgiving. She lets a out sigh before reaching over the table to cusp Daniel's cheek. Daniel flinches, but doesn't move away.

"Oh honey," she tsks. A tilted smile forms, somehow reassuring Daniel's anxieties. "It'll be alright. But unfortunately, I did have to send my other person to do what you couldn't."

Daniel can feel his lips quiver. "You did?"

"Yeah." She rubs her thumb against his cheek. "Don't worry, hun, you're still my favorite."

Daniel blinks, inwardly begging to stop himself from crying. "Are they going to hurt Noelle?"

Jade shrugs before lowering her hand. "Maybe. But I doubt it."

"They're not gonna, like, break her kneecaps or anything, right?"

"Danny, you're starting to sound like you give a shit about Noelle," Jade tsks. "I thought you were on my side?"

"I—I am, but...I don't want anyone getting hurt."

Jade gives the same tilted smile. "You're so kind, Danny, but I doubt they'll want to hurt the little bitch."

"Why's that?"

"Apparently they know each other?" Jade shrugs. "I don't know the full story, but it's kinda adorable they traveled across the country to get her."

"How did you find them?"

"That's the funny thing!" Jade says with a hearty laugh. "He found me. He told me I made the news or something along with you, Noelle, and that other guy. Came straight here and asked for my help."

"How does he know her?"

Jade purses her lips in contemplation. "Not sure," she admits, "didn't really pay attention to his story. All I did was listen to how his plan affects mine."

"How does it?"

Jade leans forward, suddenly becoming serious. With a small boop! she lightly taps Daniel's nose with her finger. A grin forms at his startled expression.