Chapter Eighteen

It had been a few weeks since Severus and I had had our dinner together. And, if I do say myself, we were progressing swimmingly. We sat together at meals, he would sometimes smile at me (which I’m sure the majority of the students had noticed), he would even come and visit me in the hospital wing when I was on duty. He would pop into my quarters every now and again for a nightcap and a chat, although we hadn’t had another repeat of that night, we had managed to grow closer, yet we never let it interfere with our work… well, usually we didn’t.

It was the weekend when I was working the duty shift in the Slytherin common room when he came to seek me out. At that moment I didn’t know what it was for, or why it was so urgent but in hindsight, I should have guessed really.

“Miss Hanley.” He murmured lowly in my ear, sending delightful shivers down my spine. I had had my back to the fireplace, the entrance to the common room and therefore giving him the advantage.

“Professor Snape, to what do I owe the pleasure on your day off?” I asked, turning my head slightly so that I could see him better from the corner of my eye. He looked to be pale and in pain.

“This isn’t pleasurable news for me at all to be bearing. This is a very urgent matter and it needs all of your undivided attention. And it needs it now.” He said low, so low that I had to strain to hear him clearly.

“Okay, I will meet you in your office. I need to find one of the prefects.” I said to him as I scanned the room for one of the two seventh year prefects. He merely grunted and left. As soon as I found Felix Brunt and explained to him about there being some sort of emergency, I followed after him. I found him pacing his office.

“This is very urgent. And what happens this evening you cannot mention to anyone,ever... okay.” He snapped as soon as I entered. Now that I saw him clearly, I could see just how much pain he was in.

“Severus? I don’t understand. What could be this urgent?” I demanded, refusing to move. Even though the only thing I wanted to do was wipe the sheet of sweat that glistened his forehead as he gritted his teeth together.

“This.” He growled, shoving the sleeve of his black robes up and over his forearm to reveal a pitch black dark mark, squirming around. “I received news from Lucius Malfoy, the host of the Dark Lord for this evening, that your presence has been requested. Erin, if I don’t bring you with me he will most likely kill me, and then come for you.” Severus said, rolling back down his sleeve.

“I… I need to change.” I said simply. Severus just looked at me blankly. “I need to obscure my features, he will recognize me. I look too much like my mother when we are in our original state.” I explained as I rushed through the connecting door that now connected us together. I quickly pulled out a blue dress with a pearl underskirt that was bigger in the bust than I was, and was longer in the skirt meaning I needed to be taller and fuller. I quickly changed my hair so that it was longer and ice blonde, with a natural curl. I pinned this up haphazardly before I donned the dress, and changed my body so that it would fit accordingly. I wore simple brown traveling boots, which you couldn’t see because of the train. I wrapped a dark blue cloak around my body and pulled my hood up over my head. When I reemerged into Severus’ room his jaw hit the floor.

“You look… different.” He muttered, finally closing his mouth. “Very different. The only thing that is the same is your face.”

“Yes well different, that was the idea. Was it not?” I smirked before I walked closer to him, I noticed his eyes drift down my body, lingering a moment on my enlarged chest. I could use these to my advantage.

“Uhm, Dumbledore has lifted the apparition barrier for myself for this evening, you will have to use sidelong.” He said holding his arm out for me to take. It was evident that he really wanted to just get this over with.

“Fine.” I sighed as I clutched onto his arm and was instantly pulled, what it felt like, through a tube by the belly button. “I hate sidelong.” I muttered as we landed in a beautiful rose garden in front of an intimidating manor.

“It is not the most pleasant.” Severus agreed before he escorted me to the large front door. After waiting for a few minutes a man with long, silver, blonde hair greeted us… well mostly Severus.

“Good to see you again Severus… and this must be Erin. I’m Lucius Malfoy.” He said, leering at me as he kissed my bare hand, his eyes scanning my body again. I hated the way he stared at me.

“Actually that is my twin sister’s name. Mine is Willow.” I lied with ease, evidently shocking the man. I could tell that he wasn’t used to people throwing curveballs his way in his own home. He seemed to be a man of utter control.

“Oh my apologies, I was informed that it would be Erin who was joining us tonight.” He said his eyes narrowing at me slightly before he turned to Severus, expecting an explanation, but he got it from me.

“Ah Severus, you didn’t tell them!” I exclaimed, hitting his arm playfully. “My sister, the goody that she is, has been covering for Severus and I. You see Lucius…” I purred, stepping slightly closer to him and pushing my arms together slightly so that he could get a better view at my chest, which I was hoping to distract him with. “I am to be betrothed to another, and well… when I met Severus during a visit to my sister at Hogwarts, I couldn’t stop thinking of him. I just had to have him.” I laughed as I drifted back over to Severus and I grinned at him, in what I hope was a smoldering way as I pressed myself into him. “But you see, my betrothed would get awfully jealous. And I’m much too fond of Severus to let him go just yet.”

“Well… umm I can see what a predicament you would be in if he were to find out.” Lucius said, his adam’s apple bobbing as he swallowed nervously. “Severus, why don’t you show your companion to the dining room. Nearly everyone is in there, we’re just waiting for Yaxley, he apparently has some news.”

“It would be my pleasure.” Severus smirked as he looped his arm around me and placed it just at the top of my bottom. Once we were out of earshot of Lucius, he turned on me. “What was that all about?” He hissed lowly.

“I want to keep my true identity safe, that is what I came up with. Please, play along otherwise we will both be killed.” I hissed in return just as the doors opened and peoples eyes turned to look at us.

“My, Severus… isn’t she a sight. When I was informed that you had a new companion I couldn’t quite believe it. And then when Lucius was practically screaming his thoughts I knew she would be a delight. Come, sit by me.” A cold voice called from the head of the table. This one voice could only belong to him, Lord Voldemort.

“My Lord… I would be honoured.” I grinned, however inside I felt sick, as I walked my way over to him, making sure that I swayed my hips. Ensuring that I had everyone’s attention, I knew I definitely had Severus’, that I was sure of.