Chapter Fifteen

I was having that dream again, the dream of my mother’s death. Only this time it was different.

“Mum please, please wake up.” I watched as a younger me tried to shake my mother awake, thinking that she was only asleep. Not really knowing that she was already dead.

“No one is going to save you now little girl.” The cold voice hissed at me. The same cold voice that had haunted me for years, the voice of the ‘Dark Lord’. “Severus finish the job.”

To my adult ears I recognised the name as that of the Potions Master, it definitely wasn’t the name of the man that tried to kill me so many years ago that night he came to get her.

I awoke with a start at the point where the man, tonight it was Severus, pointed his wand at me. I was drenched in sweat, panic was in my stomach. I learnt long ago that dreams like these don’t just appear by chance, they’re for a reason. I just didn’t understand what it meant. Thinking very quickly, as though I wasn’t thinking at all, I got up and rushed to the room next door.

“Lily.” I whispered to the wall, pressing my hand on where the door should be. Luckily it appeared where I was expecting and I hammered on the door, hoping to wake up the grumpy professor that lay inside.

“What in devil’s name!” He roared, opening the door. “Erin… are you alright?” He asked once he registered that it was me. After looking at me for a few seconds he quickly rushed me inside. “Here sit down.” He said as he pulled the armchair closer to the fire for me. “Tell me what’s wrong.” He demanded as he sat on the floor in front of me, I just watched the emerald flames in a daze for a few minutes before I began speaking.

“I had a dream…” I started, but he interrupted me.

“You woke me up for a dream!” He growled at me, obviously sleep was more important to him than I thought.

“Will you let me finish!” I yelled at him. “The dream is a dream that I’ve head for years, ever since… ever since the night they came for my mother. However, tonight it was different, you were there. You were the one who held the wand at my face. You were the one who was supposed to kill me, and then I watched you die when you couldn’t complete the job.” I explained. “Severus… I need to know, are you a death eater?” I pleaded, tears in my eyes. I watched him as he looked at me, his eyes as wide as saucers. “How could you?” I questioned.

“Erin… listen it’s not what you think anymore.” He pleaded coming to stand in front of me.

“No! Get away from me! I can’t believe it, it’s people like you who destroy families. You tear them limb from limb you murder and torture innocent people who don’t deserve it. You are sick and twisted inside. I don’t want you anywhere near me, you’re sickening.” I snarled as I walked towards his door, but his arm grabbed mine before I could leave.

“This is what I wanted to tell you, Erin please just hear me out.” He pleaded desperately, his voice on the verge of breaking.

“I’m listening.” I said coldly.

“Look, yes I joined his league, that was when I first lost Lily. I was angry and heart broken, I had loved this girl since I was eleven years old and I meant nothing to her anymore. So I joined him, and there was talk of him going after families and considering that she will no doubt be expecting a child soon he wants them all dead. But I still love her, I’m not in love with her anymore I just don’t want her dead. I changed sized, I’m a spy for Dumbledore, but Voldemort thinks that I’m spying for him. Please Erin, you have to believe me.” He pleaded, his grasp on my arm tightening. “You can go ask Dumbledore he will tell you the truth.” He said desperately.

“Fine lets go speak to Dumbledore.” I said, striding towards the door, I pulled it open to reveal the wizard in question standing at the door in a deep purple dressing gown and nightcap.

“Ah Miss Hanley, I thought that I would find you here.” He said looking at me, then back to Severus. “I see that there’s a lot of explaining that should be done this evening.”

“More of a clarification Professor.” I said tightly. “I can’t trust him without you telling me what is the truth. You know my past Albus, you should know why I’m finding it difficult to trust him.” I growled as I paced Severus chambers.

“Severus, I’ll have a malt whiskey please.” He said as he sat down in the armchair that I had previously occupied. “Erin, please take a seat.” He requested, indicating to the seat opposite him. Once I had sat down and Albus had his drink in hand he began to speak. “Everything that Severus has told you is true, he does carry the dark mark and he used to follow Voldemort but not anymore. I trust Severus and I urge you to trust him as well.” He said to me, sipping his drink. Severus continued to stare at me. “Severus has changed to the protection of the people, especially considering the new development in the Potter’s life. Severus I hate to have to tell you this… but Lily is pregnant.” Albus said.

“But that means that he’ll be going into hiding. Albus please, hide them… Hide all of them.” He pleaded desperately.

“I’ll try the best of my ability but they have to find someone they trust completely.” Albus said before he turned to look at me. “Erin, have you told Severus why the death eaters were in your house to begin with?”

“I well… no.” I said, breathing out shakily. I knew that I was going to have to tell everyone soon.

“If you and Severus are going to continue in this relationship you need to be honest with each other.” Albus sighed, standing up and draining the last of his drink. “I’m going to head back to bed, I’ll let you two talk. Don’t stay up too late.” He said looking at us mischievously before leaving.

“Severus, I’m sorry I didn’t believe you.” I said looking at him, he just smiled at me weakly.

“That’s alright, what were they doing in your house?” He asked me, sitting hesitantly beside me.

“They… well they came with him to get my mum to join his forces, and when she wouldn’t he killed her. He wanted her to join because she could take any shape and form she wanted. It’s a genetic talent… a talent that I share. Severus… I’m a shape shifter.”